LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issue with editing classes in 2011

Maybe this is just an install issue, but....

In LV 2011, if I attempt to edit the data of an established class (i.e. it has accessors, etc) then I get the Windows 7 whirling cursor indicating that the class is updating; sometimes this takes several minutes for the changes to be applied while other times the system just hangs and I eventually have to kill LV thus creating a hideously time wasting cycle in where I once again attempt to make changes to the class, it hangs, ad infinitum.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is there a work around?

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,736 Views)

How many classes are in your project? Did you try creating a new blank project and a new class and still have problems?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,733 Views)

Steve,

Thanks for the response.  However, this is unrelated to any project.  This is just with the class open and nothing else.

Another note - so the major issue that I was having was when I tried to select another "Representation" by right clicking and using the corresponding menu (i.e. changing from Double to Single).  However, if I select properties and change the representation (or any other property) I don't have the same kind of lag/failure.  Go figure.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,717 Views)
So you are saying this happens with any class in any project? Has it always happened or did it just start happening? Also what kind of hardware - GigaHZ, ram size, etc..
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,707 Views)

No.  I am saying that this is not associated with a project.  A class does not have to be associated with a project.  If you open a .lvclass file you will get a window that looks like a library window where, similar to the library, everything contained in the class namespace will be found.

I am running LV 2011 on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine with a dual core i5 (2.53 GHz) and 4 Gb of ram.  Performance wise, I am having no issues with any other aspects of LV 2011 (strike that - it does seem to crash more than I desire).  As I said in the above post, this seems to be an issue only when I am trying to change things such as names in a space other than the properties dialog box. 

I suspect this might be associated with the installation, but I am not positive.  I have attached two classes if you are interested in playing with them.  Basically, I was only trying to change the type and name of the variable tscan in the SMPS class (I included the CPC class due to the dependency of the SMPS, but I am afraid there may be some other dependencies that I can not immediately see).

Cheers, m

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,693 Views)

With respect to the project file you attached, could you please list the exact steps I could take to reproduce your issue? Thanks!

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,663 Views)

Peter,

It's simple - all I am trying to do is to edit the properties of the SMPS class.  So, open up the SMPS class to bring up the class window and then edit one of the numerical properties without bringing up the properties dialog (try changing the representation or name).  Maybe it will work well for you, which would point to my installation or machine speciffically.  There is no project (sorry about the misleading zip file name).

Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,643 Views)

No issues editing the properties here. I am still not clear on one thing. Does this happen for you with any class or just this one class? If the latter maybe you could try to recreate the class. Just copy code and paste it into the new class methods.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,637 Views)

One more question. Is the class part of a library that contains a lot of other classes? If so try removing it from the library and adding it again. Before you add it again check to see if the performance issues are gone. Doing this will remove the mutation history which you might not want to do if you flatten objects and save to disk or send over the network.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 9 of 10
(2,614 Views)

Thanks for the effort, Steve.  I think you are confirming what I thought - and that is that this is related to my particular machine.  Ugh.  I may look at reinstalling LV at some point - I seem to be having some similar issues with other classes/projects.

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,603 Views)