From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCAN-USB adapter with NI-CAN

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I intend to communicate Labview with a motor controller through CAN network by using a PCAN-USB adapter from Peak System. I wanted to know if NI-CAN is able to send and receive commands through devices that are not from National Instrument (in this case it will be the PCAN-USB adapter from Peak System). Can anyone that knows anything on this matter help me out please?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(14,383 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Trainee123

We have used PCAN-USB using the LabVIEW driver that PEAK provide. I don't think you can use NI-CAN or NI-XNET to talk directly to the CAN network using the PCAN USB but we do use the conversion functions of NI XNET to convert between CAN messages and signal/value data and vice-versa and then use the PCAN LabVIEW driver to read/write the messages.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 13
(14,378 Views)

Thanks a lot. To use NI-CAN, is it restricted to CAN products from National Instrument? Or does it support CAN devices from other company apart from Peak System?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(14,369 Views)

NI-CAN supports only National Instruments devices. However, you should be able to use Peak System's library (DLL) instead of NI-CAN to read and write CAN messages from within LabVIEW. There's nothing special about NI-CAN.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(14,356 Views)

you indicated you used the xnet vi's to perform conversions.  Would you please share how you created a valid xnet session?  I would like to use that functionality but I receive an error on the session for invalid or nor CAN hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(14,122 Views)

@RussSec wrote:

you indicated you used the xnet vi's to perform conversions.  Would you please share how you created a valid xnet session?  I would like to use that functionality but I receive an error on the session for invalid or nor CAN hardware.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-39793

XNet frame and channel conversion can be done without XNet hardware, it is just a translation of data from one format to another.  So read your frames like you normally would with what ever drivers it comes with, and then use that API to convert it into signals, given a database.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(14,105 Views)

Would you provide the PCAN LabVIEW Driver VIs or share the link to download driver VIs...?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(14,026 Views)

Strange it looks like the drivers aren't free any more.  You might bet lucky and find an old copy floating around before they started charging.

http://www.peak-system.com/Lab-View-Driver.255.0.html?&L=1

http://gridconnect.com/labview-driver-for-pcan-adapters.html

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(14,003 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(14,001 Views)

Hey can you share how you used it for peak system hardware. I am facing problem in sending payload.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(9,108 Views)