From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay the intensity graph onto an image

Hollo—Anyone knows how to make the Intensity Graph transparent? I need to overlay the intensity graph onto an image. I tried to the “Plot Image” but unlike other graphs Intensity Graph only has “Plot Image Front”, which is not I want. “Plot Image Back” would work.

Thanks

WB

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,764 Views)

Use a picture indicator and combine the two images and show it in the display is a crude approach. Now if you want to keep the graphing features... that will not work.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,743 Views)

Ben-Thanks for your replay. I am not really sure how to combine two images in a Picture Indicator and make one of them transparent to the other. Could you please explain more or let me know if there is any reference example? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,738 Views)

It is straight forward once you understand the details but you do have to attend to the details.

First take a look at some of the posts linked in this thread devoted to topics involving the picture control.

Greg McKaskle (LV Chief Architect) wrote about the picture control about 13 years ago in this thread.

But since then LV has added some useful functions that may help. One of which is the "Create Mask" which will create a mask for an image. The strategy would be to define a color in the front most image what will designate the "transparent" region Crete the mask and use it when combining the images.

Read the help files for the picture functions and keep in mind the picture control goes back a long time and some history influenced by running on a Mac, particularly when you read about the restriction on the mask having dimensions that are a multiple of "8" as in eight bit bytes.

And s I said, just combining them will not maintain the built in functions of the charts and graphs. If you need to retain those functions.... the project just got more complicated.

Have fun!

I always enjoyed Picture related projects since they let you go beyond the built-in LV functionality. I hope you have as fun as I did. If you develop a nice example please feel free to share it here for those that may follow you in the future.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,712 Views)