From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenTherm in LabView

How can I interface with a boiler controller or thermostat that use OpenTherm protocol in Labview? What hardware do I need other than, say, a USB multifunction DAQ X series?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,013 Views)

Have you read the spec? The signalling appears to use Manchester encoding so I would look at digital io with external signal conditioning. From a quick look at the spec it appears that it uses both current level and voltage signalling.

Does someone make a serial io card/board that does Manchester encoding?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,977 Views)

The signaling is a little bit complex in that it uses both voltages and currents. Not something easily done with a normal DAQ card. There has been a project in Elektor some time ago that created a simple circuit to create OpenTherm compatible signaling from a serial port. You still have to implement the manchester encoding but at least the electrical signaling interface is taken care of. I believe it is still possible to order the article that contains the description for this project from them.

Another DIY project is the OpenTherm Gateway project, but you can also buy the print from them.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,926 Views)