LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omega Flowmeter connection and VI

Solved!
Go to solution

Im currently working on a project and need help connecting a sensor and creating a VI. I have an Omega FPR135 and NI USB-6001 DAQ. Very new to labview so anything would help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,263 Views)

Hi chealv,

 


@chealy wrote:

I have an Omega FPR135 and NI USB-6001 DAQ. Very new to labview so anything would help.


When you are new to LabVIEW then you should start with those Training resources offered at the top of the LabVIEW board…

 

Then you should learn the DAQmx basics.

And then you should open one of the example VI coming with LabVIEW+DAQmx to learn how to use the counter input of the NI6001.

Then connect your sensor to this counter input (using appropriate signal conditioning!) and count the pulses coming in…

Best regards,
GerdW


using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,253 Views)

@chealy wrote:

Im currently working on a project and need help connecting a sensor and creating a VI. I have an Omega FPR135 and NI USB-6001 DAQ. Very new to labview so anything would help.


Fairly simple.  You don't even need an additional power supply the 200mA from the 6001 can drive THAT device

  • Connect the red wire to the 6001 5V out
  • Connect a 10kOhm pull-down resistor from PF1 to digital gnd. The 6001's internal 47.5k pull-down is not "stiff" enough for the sensor.
  • Connect the white wire to PF1
  • Connect the black wire to digital gnd

Create a counter task counting positive edges.  Read count. Divide count by 243 to get gallons(US).

 

If you are in England ....Good luck finding a plumber to work with those .75 inch brass fittings on the sensor. 😀


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,237 Views)

Thank you so much for your response. I was able to get the counter working quite easily using the task. Is there any easy way to copy a task to a labview vi? I couldn't get the continuous_counter.vi sample to work.

 

Not in the UK but also will not be the one working with brass fittings😋

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,207 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chealy

@chealy wrote:

Thank you so much for your response. I was able to get the counter working quite easily using the task. Is there any easy way to copy a task to a labview vi? I couldn't get the continuous_counter.vi sample to work.

 

Not in the UK but also will not be the one working with brass fittings😋


Why, yes there is an easy way!

 

Save the task you created with the DAQmx Wizard since it sounds like you got it working.

 

Open a Blank Vi block diagram and place a DAQmx task constant.  Right click the constant and>>Select the Task you saved by name.

 

Right click again and select "Generate Code (Configuration and example)"

 

Watch everything magically "Poof!" into existence.  SMILE and don't tell the boss how easy it was.


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,200 Views)

Im having an issue to dividing the count by 243 in labview, does labview round up as soon as it reaches 0.5 gallons? Could I also add a timer that so I can get gallons per minute? Any tips for this step?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,120 Views)

@chealy wrote:

Im having an issue to dividing the count by 243 in labview, does labview round up as soon as it reaches 0.5 gallons? Could I also add a timer that so I can get gallons per minute? Any tips for this step?


Attach your code.


"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,108 Views)

This is the code, I added timer to provide the duration time. Not sure if it works how I think it does.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,087 Views)