From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC Server 2016 - AB ControlLogix Unable to read tag CIP Error=0x0F

Solved!
Go to solution

This is yet another my attempt to try NI OPC Server opposite to opensource has faced out with the impossibility to read anything from AB ControlLogix PLC. Any attempts to read tags from ControlLogix are faced out with server messages like this "Date Time Level Source Event
12/18/2018 2:04:16 PM Warning Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Ethernet Unable to read tag 'OUTOFSCOPE_TEMP2' on device 'FlowMetersGroup1.F2'. [CIP Error=0x0F, Ext. Error=0x0000]."

As I've found such error can be produced only when I'm trying to write read-only tag. But I'm reading ones! Sometimes, maybe once per 100 attempts, occasionally some data are read. I'm wondering such behavior. I've tried to look for a more fresh version, but nothing found. Only some OPC Toolkit that doesn't contain server part. All other OPC UA servers what I'm trying are successfully read such tags, but I'd like to use one server instead of vendor-specific product for each one PLC types.

Please let me the clear answer - is anybody using this product in real life? Each of my attempts to migrate to the professional product is unsuccessful. 😞

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,274 Views)

Have you seen this document:  https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019Ln6SAE&l=en-US ?

The NI OPC Server should be able to read from your AB PLC as there are many people who use that configuration.  Do you have any screenshots to share showing the misreads or when we get the error occurring?  If you could also share an image of your NI OPC Servers page that shows your tags, it might be useful for us and other users with the same configuration might be able to give you some tips or pointers on how you have things configured.

Clemens | Technical Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,230 Views)

I've yet again downloaded, installed and configured OPC Server 2016 from scratch. PFA screenshot of the configuration window. As you can see the problem only with ControlLogix family. For an example, I've added CompactLogix in the same way and all is working fine and stable. MicroLogix also hasn't problems.

What's additional information do you need? Can I upload from OPC Server by any easy way the full current configuration for posting here? 

Thanks, best regards

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,221 Views)

You can export your NI OPC Server configuration by going to File >> Save As, and saving a .opf file.  This .opf file can then be opened in NI OPC Server to load the configurations.

I am not sure if it is a configuration issue or potentially a PLC compatibility issue, but you should look at this page that lists the compatible devices with NI OPC Server:  http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6417/en/#toc2 On that page, you will see that there are a number of ControlLogix PLC listed, but it does not contain all of the ControlLogix family.  My guess is that it is possible that your particular ControlLogix PLC is not on the supported list.

Clemens | Technical Support Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,201 Views)

the 5561 should be compatable.  I would question the protocol mode.  I suspect that Logical - non blocking is causing a race condition and would try blocking.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,199 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

the 5561 should be compatable.  I would question the protocol mode.  I suspect that Logical - non blocking is causing a race condition and would try blocking.

Thanks for the idea, but nothing happened. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,186 Views)
Solution
Accepted by OlegUA

Hi All!

Unexpectedly I've got the solution for this issue. Thanks a lot to people from Kepware who are maintaining the same server but a little bit different colors of some icons )) Solution: in Logix Options tab set the Protocol Mode to Symbolic. That's all.

Best regards to NI support! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,806 Views)

Mark you answer as the solution so everyone knows that the answer has been found. It would also allow people in the future that may have the same problem to find the answer faster.

Thanks for following up. Things like these can be hard to find at times. It is nice when someone comes back and lets everyone know how the problem was fixed.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,800 Views)