Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notepad++ ActiveX Control

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear NI Community,

I've got one small question.

I'd like to play a bit with Notepad++ ActiveX, and I'm wondering, whether it is possible to use it as ActiveX control inside the VI. I've installed and registered Notepad++ ActiveX plugin, but I can not find instance of this class via ActiveX Container.

Did anyone worked with it, please? Maybe, someone know solution, how to embed it into VI front panel?

Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(7,390 Views)

Does Notepad++ actually have an ActiveX Control, or does it just have an ActiveX programming interface? If it's just the latter, then there's nothing to put in an ActiveX container.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(7,386 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kosist90

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Does Notepad++ actually have an ActiveX Control, or does it just have an ActiveX programming interface? If it's just the latter, then there's nothing to put in an ActiveX container.

I presume it's only an ActivX Interface?

- Notepad++ 6.8.8

- ActivX plugin 1.1.7.3

- LabView 2015

after installation open a new vi, and press ctrl+shift+b to open the class browser

2016-02-19_vi-server.PNG

the default is VI server

you have to change this to ActivX > SELECT LIBRARY

I suppose the Notepadd++ library is "NppActiveXPluginTypLib Version 1.0"

2016-02-19_npp.PNG

2016-02-19_npp2.PNG

Message 3 of 15
(7,354 Views)

Thanks to everyone for the answer!

Just small update - as it is found, in LabVIEW anyway neither container for front panel, nor property/invoke nodes on the block diagram are not available for this ActiveX Notepad++ plugin...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(7,257 Views)

Not sure what your goal is but you can use the Rich Text Box ActiveX control to embed basically a notepad environment on the front panel of LabVIEW.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7CFE9838693EFF53862575ED005770FA

Message 5 of 15
(7,225 Views)

@kosist90 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the answer!

Just small update - as it is found, in LabVIEW anyway neither container for front panel, nor property/invoke nodes on the block diagram are not available for this ActiveX Notepad++ plugin...

okay, I just learned, in notepad++  you have to navigate to activex plugin>setting>register

then the NppActiveXPluginTypLib Version 1.0 will show up in:

Looks like this "register" does run an .exe which can be found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\plugins\ActiveX\RegisterActiveX.exe"

Eventhough, if a invoke or property node is dropped on the blockdiagram, you can't run your vi 😞

So I looked up a tutorial from "activex plugin>help..>How to use this ActiveX Plugin?"

Type this lines ov visual basic code in  an open notepade, save as .vbs, and then doub-click the file

Option Explicit

Dim NppApplication

Set NppApplication = CreateObject("NotepadPlusPlus.Application")
Call NppApplication.activeEditor.newFile()
Call NppApplication.activeEditor.write("This text has been written by the example script!")

This  (kind of) works! Notepad++ opens a new file with the content "This text ..."

2016-02-22_npp_tutorial_1_VBS.png

Trying to build this with nodes in Labview, seems straight forward.

2016-02-22_npp_tutorial_1.png

Does someone know how to do:

Set NppApplication = CreateObject("NotepadPlusPlus.Application")

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(7,206 Views)

hI,

Will it posibble to convert the Ascii  to hex using notepad ++(Because im working with chineese cheracters.)

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,763 Views)

Hi vivek,

why do you want to use Npp for this conversion? Why not use LabVIEW?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,759 Views)

Hello GerdW,

Thanks For Your ReplySmiley Happy

My need is im working with a language verification with Google tesseract (.net assembly).

Tessaract will give the output OCR in language other than english and it will be stored in a text file.

in labview is this possible to compare 𥱰=𥱰.

So i need to convert 𥱰 to its eqvalent unicode.

please advise if any ways to do this.

Notepad++ will have a plugin to convert Ascii---> Hex.

Regards,

VIvek G.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,755 Views)

Hi vivek,

to convert "ASCII" to "hex" in LabVIEW all you need is the StringToU8Array function…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,748 Views)