cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ni max and power supply

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I am a new LabVIEW programmer, I need to send commands to supply a constant voltage or current to a power supply (Sm30-100 from Delta electronica). Unfortunately, I didn't find a suitable driver for this instrument or any example.

Is it possible to simulate this instrument in NI Max? and what else do I need to achieve that?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,578 Views)

In spite of the manual saying it's easy to program, it doesn't really seem that way at all.  If you can use a different power supply - one that uses SCPI to communicate - that would be a LOT easier.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,531 Views)

thanks for the reply,

I totally agree, The risk of having an error is high. Unfortunately, I am afraid that I have to work with this power supply.

But cant I send These SCPI commands through Ni Max program? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,459 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Suhaib@961

Hi Suhaib,

that SM30 is a discontinued product from Delta, they offer an replacement (see here). But they still offer service until 2027…

The manual they offer on that website doesn't provide a list of commands for RS232/GPIB remote control. You will need to contact that DeltaElektronika service to provide you with such a "programming manual" for that old device!

Once you know the commands for your device you can send them through MAX or LabVIEW…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,446 Views)

Seems like you "program" this thing by using a scaled voltage???  So you have to have a power supply to program the power supply?  😉  And you need a DAQ if you want to record the output values.

It's probably cheaper to buy another power supply.  One that utilizes some kind of programming language.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,308 Views)

yes, that's correct, the power supply has an analog programming connector. I used an Arduino to supply 0-5v signals to check if I can change the voltage using a potentiometer and it worked. I need to set Voltage/Current and collect those readings.

I think I can manage to do that using DAQmx. 

thanks for your support

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,688 Views)