From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newport Dual-Channel Power Meter 2832-C Control

This message is request help of using Newport Dual-Channel Power Meter 2832-C. We are doing some project using the LabView to control and take the record from the Meter. Could you have some LabView file via Serial Port or GPIB to control the Meter?

Please feel free for reply!

Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,590 Views)
The Instrument Driver Network has a driver for it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,579 Views)
Thanks your help Dennis Knutson a lot.
If I need to use the Serial Port, Is there have any source?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,567 Views)

Hi BelieverPaul,

Am I correct to understand that you found a GPIB instrument driver for your Newport device, but not a serial driver?  All drivers (whether they are serial, GPIB, ethernet or USB driven) can be found on the Instrument Driver Network, linked in an earlier post.  If a serial driver is not listed, we do not currently have that option available.  I did a search for the Newport drivers myself and it appears that they are not NI-certified (ie. not developed/tested by National Instruments).  You may want to check with Newport to see if they have some LabVIEW drivers that have not been posted on our website.  If not, you always have the option of creating your own programs based on VISA to communicate serially with your device!  You can also submit a request for a new driver here.  Hope this helps!

Regards,
Anna M.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,556 Views)
I had a look at the driver. It uses the lower level GPIB functions and the first step would be to replace those with VISA functions. That's the simple part. The driver also uses the GPIB serial poll function a lot and you would have to do this completely differently with an RS-232 connection. Still, you have  starting point with configuring the instrument and you should be able to get the general idea about reading a measurement.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,550 Views)

This mail is sent to request a help.

I have a GPIB cable Smiley Wink, Would I control the Power Meter 2832-C via the GPIB through ESP 300 controller? If it is work, which command of ESP 300 should be use?

Please feel free to reply

Thank you very much!

Paul

10-4-07

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,535 Views)
As far as I can tell, the GPIB interface on the ESP 300 is not a controller. It is an alternate way to connect it to a pc with a GPIB controller in it. You cannot just connect to ESP 300 and your power meter. You would need a GPIB controller for the pc.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,526 Views)

Thank you a lot!

Now, I will try my best to modify the GPIB driver to Serial Port driver of Power Meter

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,515 Views)

Hello,

Do you manage to the Labview Driver for Model 2832-C working even with GPIB? I try to use the driver but it shows "error -288  command not available"

Thank you

Regards

Jaz@

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,292 Views)

Hello,

Does anyone have New Port 2832-C driver. I have the NI labview instrument driver for the instrument installed but i dont really know how to write command to start the measurement and stop the measurement

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,271 Views)