LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New LabVIEW Naming Scheme and Compatibility

Solved!
Go to solution

I did a quick search for this, but didn't find anything. Apologies if this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it. 

With the new LabVIEW naming scheme, how do we know which versions of code are natively compatible with the IDE?

For example, recently SP releases would happen around March. Previously that release would be called LV2022 SP1 and code could be opened from vanilla LV2022 and vice versa without any need to save for previous version. With the new names, that would be called 2023 Q1 instead. Is that code natively compatible with 2022 Q3? Where's the cutoff for VI compatibility between versions?

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,524 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CaseyM

The general plan is to have releases in the same year (ex 2023 Q1 and 2023 Q3) be binary compatible.

Quoting somebody from NI in a private board: "Yes, we intend for Q3 release to be "binary compatible" with Q1 and install into the same folder, but if it needs to be a "breaking" release then it will install into a separate folder, e.g., C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023 Q3."

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,453 Views)

Thanks. So is 2022 Q3 all by its lonesome or is it compatible with 2021 SP1 since it came out in the same calendar year?

@crossrulz wrote:

The general plan is to have releases in the same year (ex 2023 Q1 and 2023 Q3) be binary compatible.

Quoting somebody from NI in a private board: "Yes, we intend for Q3 release to be "binary compatible" with Q1 and install into the same folder, but if it needs to be a "breaking" release then it will install into a separate folder

There's no way this will ever get confusing... 😛

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,434 Views)

@CaseyM wrote:

Thanks. So is 2022 Q3 all by its lonesome or is it compatible with 2021 SP1 since it came out in the same calendar year?

I'm under the impression it will be all by its lonesome.  But we shall see.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,425 Views)

My understanding is that the binary compatibility will be associated with version year, not the calendar year. So:

2021 and 2021 SP1 - binary compatible

2022 Q3 - special snowflake

2023 Q1 and 2023 Q3 - binary compatible

2024 Q1 and 2024 Q3 - binary compatible

With the possible exception that a breaking change in a version year will install to a separate folder, as mentioned above. I expect the chance of this happening to be quite low.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,374 Views)

So does this imply that the major changes will most likely be introduced in the Q1 release then? It would seem like it would have to be so in order to try and maintain binary compatibility.

CLA CLED AF Guild
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,370 Views)

That I don't know (I'm not in R&D anymore). My impression (again, not official word) is that feature scope will be appropriately sized for regular 6-month releases, so the whole 'SP1 will mainly have bug fixes' paradigm is no longer accurate.

But I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,367 Views)