LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network issue in runtime

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I am using an Ethernet switch to connect to my DUT via Ethernet. I also connect to an iBoot device to turn on/off AC power. I have a DHCP setup and the code runs some code using SSH. It all works good when running from my LabVIEW source code. When I run my compiled code in Runtime the SSH does not connect. It says network error. Strange thing is also if I remove the iBoot connection from the Ethernet switch it is working again. Does LabVIEW have any compile setting regarding network setup that will prevent it from running in Runtime?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,596 Views)

Hi, I am using an Ethernet switch to connect to my DUT via Ethernet. I also connect to an iBoot device to turn on/off AC power. I have a DHCP setup and the code runs some code using SSH. It all works good when running from my LabVIEW source code. When I run my compiled code in Runtime the SSH does not connect. It says network error. Strange thing is also if I remove the iBoot connection from the Ethernet switch it is working again. Does LabVIEW have any compile setting regarding network setup that will prevent it from running in Runtime?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,597 Views)

@hasse wrote:

I think you answered your last question by saying that it worked when you removed the connection to the iBoot device.  The SSH issue is likely a symptom of something else wrong, not the issue itself.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,548 Views)

@hasse wrote:

I have a DHCP setup and the code runs some code using SSH. 

Can you clarify? Is the first "the code" your LabVIEW VIs/application? And then the "some code" is a command line executed via perhaps a System Exec node or Call Library Function Node?

@hasse wrote:

It all works good when running from my LabVIEW source code. When I run my compiled code in Runtime the SSH does not connect. It says network error. 

Does LabVIEW have any compile setting regarding network setup that will prevent it from running in Runtime?

There are some things that might change when you compile code. If you can share your LabVIEW code (and ideally the project file containing your Build Spec) we might be able to have a better guess.

Some options might include the user environment, depending on how you're running the application vs the IDE, or perhaps firewall settings (but we won't see these in your LabVIEW code - you'd have to check this on the computer). However, the next bit makes those seem at least a bit less likely...

@hasse wrote:

Strange thing is also if I remove the iBoot connection from the Ethernet switch it is working again.

This is confusing - the iBoot is basically a power extension cable whilst it's turned on, right? Or is there more to it that this? Does the iBoot receive an IP address that might be causing a misconfiguration of the DHCP? (i.e. if you're using a static IP in your LabVIEW code, that might sometimes be to your DUT and sometimes be instead allocated to the iBoot? - but I don't see a reason for the compilation/run-time to affect this).

What is responsible for providing the DHCP? Is it the PC running LabVIEW? (Or indeed, have you programmed this functionality directly in LabVIEW? That would seem pretty unusual and probably a lot of work for little reward, but it is presumably possible...)

Are you running from the same device for "source code" and "runtime"? (just checking)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,536 Views)

Bilko,

yes it worked for the SSH part when I removed the the iBoot, but I do need to use the iBoot so that is not an acceptable solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,517 Views)

Hi cbuther,

some clarifications:
the first "the code" and the "some code" is all LabVIEW Vis/application. For the SSH part I am using a third party vendor but it is likely not a problem with the SSH part, just the network that is not working. 

The iBoot is like a power extension cable when connected BUT to control it it is connected through an Ethernet cable to the Ethernet switch and there is where I have the problem to connect it.

The IP address for the iBoot device is hardcoded to 192.168.1.254

What is responsible for providing the DHCP?  I have configured the DHCP through an external program called dhcpsrv.exe (not LabVIEW)

Is it the PC running LabVIEW? - Yes

Are you running from the same device for "source code" and "runtime"? (just checking) - Yes same device 

I will see if I can post some code later.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,510 Views)

Project file attached

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,500 Views)

@hasse wrote:

Project file attached

The project file alone is not helpful, as it is just an xml file that contains nothing but instructions on how various pieces of the project fit together.  We will need the VIs that go along with it.

Regarding your last post directed at me:

I did not mean to imply that removing the iBoot device was a possible solution.  Rather, I meant that to be proof that there is nothing about the way the executable may have been compiled that could have caused this.

If I had to make an extremely uneducated guess - oops I'm not going to make a guess.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,497 Views)

So, it is still giving me this error when running from the compiled version (see attachment socketerror).

I also saw another message for Windows Defender Firewall (attachment winblock). When this happened I went in to the app blocking settings and approved LabView Development System. That did not work either, but is this only development and not the LabVIEW exe?

Then again, going back running the LabVIEW source file - everything works.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,439 Views)

I think that your executable needs its own access separate from the LV Development System.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,430 Views)