LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with structures..!!!!Please help.

A fluorometer scans a 96-well plate to detect the presence of fluorescent probes. The 96-well plate is configured with 8 rows, labeled A through H, and 12 columns, labeled 1 through 12. The output of the fluorometer is a 2-D array of digital signals, either 0 if absent or 1 if present. what kind of structures can be used to extract the information of each individual well? How could these structures be used to extract the information? Given the type of data created in this specific situation, what type of indicator should be used to represent the datum of each individual well?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,714 Views)
Hi Suzane,

I will go through your text and provide some comments and hopefully answers.

"The 96-well plate is configured with 8 rows, labeled A through H, and 12 columns, labeled 1 through 12. The output of the fluorometer is a 2-D array of digital signals"
>> You could create a 2-D array (8X12) to store the data.

"either 0 if absent or 1 if present."
>> The data obtained can be interpreted as boolean.  No need to convert the data.

"what kind of structures can be used to extract the information of each individual well?"
>>  what do you mean?  how do you want to extract the data other than boolean values?  What is the final information you want to extract or provide?

"How could these structures be used to extract the information?"
>>  If the data received is an array of 1's & 0's, I would use that data directly.  Unless there is something I don't understand.  Are you looking for any trace of fluorescent in any of the samples?  For instance, if a trace is detected within any of the 96 samples an indicator (or alarm) will be active.

"Given the type of data created in this specific situation, what type of indicator should be used to represent the datum of each individual well?"
>>  I have done something similar in the past.  I created an array of indicators (green LED's on the Front Panel) to show if any value in the array was TRUE.  Let me know if this is what you are trying to achieve.  I posted a solution using an array of LED's for someone else a few months ago.  I can place a link to it.

Ray

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 10-20-2005 07:55 AM

Message 2 of 9
(2,702 Views)
Thanks for the reply. I'll clear the question:

"what kind of structures can be used to extract the information of each individual well?"

By this i mean, if i want to get the information only for say a sample from row 7, column 5, how can i extract that information? for sure we don't need arrays, coz this is a individual well. I was thinkiing that if i have to extract the information for individual well, leaving all others, can i use stacked sequence structure.
thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,692 Views)
Hi Suzane,

If you want to extract a single item, you can always index the appropriate column & row of the 2-D array.
I think using the array is the simpler method.

What do you mean by "individual well"?  Does each location in the array refer to an individual well?

I am not sure why you want to use a stacked sequence structure.  If the data is provided in an array format and you know the location (row & column) for a given well, then you can index that location directly to the array and read the value.   You could create a control to read the value by well name (containing the index).

Ray

Message 4 of 9
(2,685 Views)

Hi,

Individual well means each array. I have to use a structure only to extract the data. i understand that we can use array..but that is what is required. So, please suggest what kind of str. can be used.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,680 Views)
Hi Ray,

please suggest what can i do here.

thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,667 Views)

It is still not clear to me what you want to do with the data but here are some possibilities.

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,660 Views)

i am not too good in structures, still learing, can you plz explain me your Vi.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,651 Views)

The top structure, a "For Loop" shows how to autoindex the incoming data array, which is represented by the LED array control. To simulate data in that array, click on the individual "LEDs". I realized that I didn't save any values in the input data, so attached is a slightly revised version, with some explanation of what is occuring.

P.M.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 9 of 9
(2,637 Views)