LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Creating a Student Attendance VI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Qd3X5d9G8&t=154s

This video is similar to what I would like to create. 

I will simulate this with a push button to say that the student is present in class. I would like it to show the time and date that they attended and be able to see how many days was missed. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,173 Views)

Hi bjb,

what I would like to create. 

Ok. And what is your question?

Did you encounter any (specific) problems?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,171 Views)

I do not know how to make it count an absence every time the button is NOT pushed, or how to make it show the time and date whenever the button IS pushed. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,161 Views)

Hi bjb,

every time you push that button you store a timestamp into a database.

Now you only need to check if there is a timestamp for each school day (when there is none, then the student missed).

Again: Do you have specific problems using LabVIEW?

Right now we are discussing problems with designing your algorithm - which is completely independent from the used programming environment! Use a pen and a sheet of paper to draw a flow chart! (Other forum participants will explain you to first define the "what do you want to achieve" before you go into the details of "how do you achieve your goals"!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 18
(3,159 Views)

Yes that's what I need! I'm just not too sure how to implement that into the VI because we didn't learn that in our class. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,114 Views)

We don't do people's homework for them here.

Do this:

1. Write whatever code you DO know how to create in LabVIEW.

2. Write step by step instructions in plain English or pseudocode detailing how you think you should solve the problem in code you don't know how to create in LabVIEW

3. Make an honest ATTEMPT at implementing those instructions in LabVIEW

4. If you fail at your attempt (likely...), post your broken code (and the step by step instructions in plain English or pseudocode) and ask for help with the parts that you can't figure out.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,111 Views)

1. I have 5 students that need their attendance monitored.

2.When they press their button, it will show the day they are present, then if they do not press the button on that day, it will add the total missed days.

I am having trouble with it showing the date that they press the button and having it add the missed days. 

I attached what I have so far. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,105 Views)

Your problem is you are taking a default value timestamp and formatting it into a string. Instead, you need to to use "Get Date/Time In Seconds" to get the current date, and then you can format it however you want.

To add the missed days, you need to decide on a format for storing the days the students have pressed their buttons. Since I assume this will last over many days/weeks, it will probably not work to store this in memory. So do you want to write them to a file? Are you going to set up a database to store them in? Once you have that figured out, then you can figure out how to get the days missed from your data stored (because it will depend on how it's stored).

Sidenote: Your missing days probably shouldn't be stored as floating points, but rather as integers (unless you are handling a way students can miss only part of a day?)

Also, how do you plan on having students scan their "Cajun Card"? Is this hardware you need to control from LabVIEW as well?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,096 Views)

This is where I am at currently in my VI. This is a beginner class for me so I do not know how to do some of the things that you were talking about. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,082 Views)

In this VI, the student will push their button time they enter the class for attendance.
It will display which days they push their button and which days they do not.
If the amount of missed days is Below 2 it will say "Good Attendance",
      If the amount of missed days is 3-4 it will say "Warning"
                                                          5 or above it will say "Poor Attendance."

I am stuck on how to write the data to a file and then reading and displaying this data on labview. I included my VI of where I am at so far. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,108 Views)