cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need All Windows... 'Ctrl Shift W' Conversion to Array

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have what I thought would be a simple problem to solve, and I seem to be running into dead ends wherever I turn! Please PLEASE someone help me.

The Request: I would like to have a list of all labVIEW windows open, and accessible from an array. In other words, when you press 'Ctrl + Shift+W' I would like the Strings in the 'Title' column to be in an array for me to read.

The Goal: I'm trying to get a list of all open labview VI's to log in a bug report, but I need the list to span ALL application instances. I don't know how else to tackle this, I would be extremely grateful if you all had any clues.

The things I've Tried:

• Using 'Get Menu Item Info' and wiring 'APP_OPEN_WINDOWS' into the item tag
    • only provides 'Open Windows *'
  • Using CMD: Tasklist to get a list of active windows 
    • Didn't work, and only returned one top level LABVIEW.EXE
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,451 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LoopMaster

Is this what you mean?

All Open VIs.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 2 of 9
(1,438 Views)

I may have to go into work tomorrow just to try this.  Ty for the quick response! I'll let you know if it works ASAP

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,422 Views)

If you want that to work for clones, it will become a hole lot more complicated.

Of course, one obvious question is why you need this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,357 Views)

Paul this does what I need it to do, thank you for putting it together for me. Unfortunately labVIEW has only just implemented that App.AllContexts property node in LV 18: https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/Application_class/Application.All_Contexts_property

Looks like I have some justification to get my team to upgrade from 2017. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,341 Views)
Solution

@LoopMaster wrote:

Looks like I have some justification to get my team to upgrade from 2017. Thanks again. 

It's been there a lot longer (probably 8, when contexts where introduced): 

All Contexts.png

It's a brown node, so you need proper 'secret' in ifile keys. Or use quick drop and use CTRL+SHIFT+B with the exact right text (App.AllContexts). 

Or use the snippet of course.

You could simply not tell this and move from 2017 😁.

Message 6 of 9
(1,328 Views)

Now I am really Studying at the school of NI Forums. I never needed anything besides regular property nodes up to this point! Here is what I've found out:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000fzA9SAI&l=en-US

Color Codes for Property Nodes
  Property Type Description
Yellow Standard Changes a property of a given class.
Red Deprecated The functionality of this property has been improved in another function but has been kept in to support previous versions of code.
Blue VI Scripting The property is used in VI Scripting, for more information see the related links section.
Brown Internal/Private Internal or specific property which should be used with caution. The majority of these remaining will be changed to the other color types with future updates.

I tried using the quick drop and the exact text "App.AllContexts" with no luck. Can you elaborate on what you mean with password/secret in ifile keys. Guessing that's a password ? I would love to be able to place that node!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,309 Views)
Solution

@LoopMaster wrote:

I tried using the quick drop and the exact text "App.AllContexts" with no luck. 

1) select a property node

2) CTRL+Space, "Application", CTRL+B

3) CTRL+Space, "App.AllContexts", CTRL+SHIFT+B

@LoopMaster wrote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean with password/secret in ifile keys. Guessing that's a password ? I would love to be able to place that node!

Sure: What exactly is SuperSecretPrivateSpecialStuff for? - LabVIEW General - LAVA (lavag.org)

You might also need to turn on scripting (in Options, VI Server).

Welcome to the twilight zone!

Message 8 of 9
(1,305 Views)

I cannot thank you enough, I hope this post is helpful to others as well!  Yeah I feel like I've just learned how to summon special VI's items into existence. Definitely twilight zone territory. Wish I could give more Kudos

Message 9 of 9
(1,295 Views)