LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPN transistor

Hello

I was busy with my semester exams and now that they are done I am resuming work working on my project. I now want to make a .vi simulating the working of a transistor. Its an npn transistor and only simulations is required for now. I want to implement the output characterictics ie. Vce v/s Ic (collector current). The equations are Ic= [Vcc (Supply voltage- Vce)/Rc(approx 1k) ]. We change Vce to get different Ic for a particular value of Ib(base current). The file attached is what I want to achieve. The second file is the biasing diagram

I am stuck on a problem ie I cant find a way to change Vce which depends on Vcc and then change Ic to get the output characteristics. Please help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 40
(3,591 Views)

Hi,

Firstly, I would suggest that you read some of the LabVIEW basic tutorials (there's plenty on this site) and try some of the examples. These helped me when i first started out.  

The problem itself is pretty basic, you will need to use the numeric functions (or formula node etc. etc.) to calculate your value of Ic. You can then plot Ic against Vce using labviews graph functions.

We're not going to code this for you, but have a go at solving it. When you have, post your code so we can give you some pointers (no coding pun intended!). 

CC 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 40
(3,578 Views)

Hi Jay,

have you noticed LabVIEW is a programming language - and not a semiconductor simulation package?

You have to create a map with all parameters you need and then do some interpolation based on the inputs to calc the needed outputs...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 40
(3,577 Views)

I am through with the basics of LABView and I know the working of formula nodes and also structures. I have also done work on labview in my last semester. I will now put my own code and then ask for your help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40
(3,545 Views)

GerdW,

I have tried implementing that but did not get accurate results. However I will post my VI over here very soon.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40
(3,541 Views)

I'm not sure, but I think Greg's point may have been that perhaps you should be looking at a circuit simulator tool, rather than a programming language.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 40
(3,536 Views)

Regarding that, I need to work precisely on Labview for automation of my electronics lab. I have previously worked on PSPICE program and so now labview bein an advanced programming languague my college has asked me to work on it. So my doubts will be regarding labview only.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 40
(3,532 Views)

Hi,

@saverio: No, I don't wanted to express Jay should use Spice (or similar programs). He may stick with LabVIEW...

@Jay:

You want to simulate a transistor. Ok, that's fine. But then you have to program a tool that works like Spice: you have to know the parameters of the hardware to simulate, put all the parameters in formulas or maps and the calc the needed outputs by using that formulas - or interpolate the outputs with the help of your maps.

We cannot generate those formulas for you nor can we generate the maps needed to "simulate" the transistor. That's your part of the work...

But we may suggest ways to solve that problem. One way I would suggest for some easy first results is to use maps and do interpolation. Look at the mathematics->interpolation functions palette, read the context help for the 1D/2D interpolation functions and study the examples for those functions!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 40
(3,529 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi,

@Saverio: No, I don't wanted to express Jay should use Spice (or similar programs). He may stick with LabVIEW...

okey, dokey.

And for some reason I said "Greg" instead of Gerd. Sorry about that.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40
(3,520 Views)

" But then you have to program a tool that works like Spice"

Thats excatly what I wish to make. I have been studying the working and basics of a transistor in my undergrad course and so am good with all the hardware and the formulas and all. Now as you said I need to implement them and will be doing so.

Please take a look at my first post where i have mentioned one equation and also the problem which says

"I am stuck on a problem ie I cant find a way to change Vce which depends on Vcc and then change Ic to get the output characteristics."

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40
(3,514 Views)