LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Volume License Manager permissions problem

How do I give permissions to someone to run the NI VLM Admin interface on a Windows 2003 server without having to grant Administrator privileges? If a non-administrator tries to run NI VLM, an error message pops up saying "Unable to launch. NI Volume License Manager relies on a Windows Service which requires Administrator privileges". Which service does it rely on?

I know very little about NI products and LabView, but I know almost all there is to know about Windows Server 2003 😉 and I know there must be a way to accomplish this without having to grant the user full privileges on the whole server.

Any hints or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Marcus
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,697 Views)

Doesn't anyone have a clue on this topic? I can't imagine I'm the only one in need of this?! Anyone? Please! 🙂

///Marcus

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,674 Views)

Hello!

In many cases when it comes to configuration utilities you need Administrator privileges and I have no experience with Win 2003 server and VLM but I found this info on MSDN that describes all the roles and what they can do. A Power User can in many cases get almost Admin rights (actually a bug since Microsoft states on one page that the workaround is to avoid the Power User Group since they can almost do everything (change COM and such)).

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/fa01a57a-a0ef-4cb9-af9a-f30182a25bf71033.mspx

Hope this helps somewhat.

Regards,

Jimmie A.

Applications Engineer, National Instruments

Regards,
Jimmie Adolph
Systems Engineering Manager, National Instruments Northern European Region

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,670 Views)

Jimmie,

Thank you for your answer! I have previously read through the descriptions of User Rights in a Windows 2003 system. But in this case it looks like the need for Administrative privileges is hard-coded into the NI VLM application, which is why I turned to this forum for help. Since the error message from the application is:

what I would like to know from National Instruments is: Which service does it rely on?? And, if possible, what User Rights does it need to run?

Because if I know which service it relies on, I'll be able to grant the neccesary user rights on that particular service, instead of the whole server.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,665 Views)
Hi Marcus,

I do not know all the components that NI VLM relies on in the Win Server 2k3 environment, but I do know you will need to give access to "NILM License Manager" service. I believe you will have to use the "Log On" option and set that to be the Admin account or maybe a Power User, as mentioned by Jimmy.

You will need to give full permission on the "National Instruments" Directory as there are a few sub-folder in there that VLM uses.
Also look for a "FLEXLM" directory and give the user Full access as this is what VLM is based on and needs to have access to.

Hope this helps you

Regards
JamesC
NIUK and Ireland

Message Edited by JamesC on 03-16-2006 03:24 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,659 Views)

Hello!

I am just guessing now but I have VLM installed on my XP machine and there is a service called NILM License Manager that needs to be started; have you tried that one?

Regards,

Jimmie A.

Regards,
Jimmie Adolph
Systems Engineering Manager, National Instruments Northern European Region

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,656 Views)