From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Vision Module OCR example tact time

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, everyone!

I am thinking about using NI Vision module to test the displays of a production line in my company, but I have no ideia about the time required to the webcam read a display and put into a variable on the VI.

Before test, I want to ask if somebody who used this algorithm before can clarify my mind about the delay time to acquire data this way.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,441 Views)

Kind of depends on the camera.  A Web cam can "grab" (create a video) at 30 frames/second, and LabVIEW has no trouble acquiring and displaying at that rate.

If you are getting into LabVIEW Vision, you should first be reasonably familiar with LabVIEW (i.e. could at least past the lowest level of certification, the CLAD).  Vision is a little more complex than DAQmx, and not nearly as well documented ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,421 Views)
I know a little about LabVIEW, I have made some projects using it and I think it will be a good challenge to try using Vision module. But, back to the problem, it depends almost only on the speed of the acquisition of the cam? I can also use faster cameras
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,417 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hawk1705

@Hawk1705 wrote:
I know a little about LabVIEW, I have made some projects using it and I think it will be a good challenge to try using Vision module.  Yes, it will certainly be a "challenge".

But, back to the problem, it depends almost only on the speed of the acquisition of the cam? I can also use faster cameras  In most cases, camera speed is your limiting factor.  Of course, you can also write atrocious LabVIEW code that does things "very slowly" or has too much going on in a serial fashion ...  What speed do you think you need?  Note that image processing algorithms, because they work on 2D images, tend to be somewhat slower than you might expect ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,414 Views)
I need about 2s to acquire image and compare if what is on the lcd is equal the defined pattern (just to make sure the lcd is working properly)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,407 Views)