cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA - error Hex 0xBFFF0072

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all!

Related to NI-VISA and error Hex 0xBFFF0072, I have a RS232 port that I called COM2 and that controls two MFC from Bronkhorst. 

When testing, I made an independent VI and it worked without problem.

Now that I am integrating this control to a project lead by a cRIO-9057, I get this error and I cannot even find the COM2 option(that I can find in the independent VI), just the "ASRL 1::INSTR" that keeps giving me error.

I saw a few suggestions (closing everything so the port knows for whom he works, reinstalling VISA, tried on disable the Console out, but for this RIO could not find that option) but I still cannot make it work. I have the notion that there must be some way of telling the cRIO that there is this port guest and he has to let it pass, but I don't know how to make that -__- 

Hope that someone can give me some idea 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,424 Views)

Hi sna,

@sna_31 wrote:

I have a RS232 port that I called COM2 and that controls two MFC from Bronkhorst. 

When testing, I made an independent VI and it worked without problem.

Now that I am integrating this control to a project lead by a cRIO-9057, I get this error and I cannot even find the COM2 option(that I can find in the independent VI), just the "ASRL 1::INSTR" that keeps giving me error.

Because the cRIO is a computer on its own and has no idea about devices connected to your (Windows) host computer!

How many COM ports does your cRIO provide? By default there is only one port available (on most cRIOs), so "ASRL1" seems to be the right port. Did you connect your device to that port?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,411 Views)

Hey GerdW!, 

Thanks for your quick answer... the cRio that I have (cRIO-9057) doesn't have just have USB ports, not serial ones so I am assuming that the connection has to be through my PC... should be that the only way to make this work  is by having an RS-232 to USB adapter?? (I hope not...)

Kind regards,

Sara

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,401 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sna_31

Hi Sara,

@sna_31 wrote:

the cRio that I have (cRIO-9057) doesn't have just have USB ports, not serial ones so I am assuming that the connection has to be through my PC...

Your assumption is not correct (in a technical way)!

Again: the cRIO is a computer on its own, it has no knowledge about any ports of your host computer and it has no access to those ports (by default)!

You can create a VI running on your host computer to manage that serial port. You can also create a VI running on the cRIO and have both VIs communicate with each other: now the cRIO VI can send a command to the host computer VI, and that (host) VI will send to command over RS232. The RS232 response will go the opposite way from host to cRIO target…

@sna_31 wrote:

should be that the only way to make this work  is by having an RS-232 to USB adapter?? (I hope not...)

I'm not sure about those standard USB-to-RS232 converters with cRIO/RT-Linux: you may try if the cRIO can handle them by default. Maybe you need to add some (Linux!) device drivers - I'm just guessing here, never used such converters with cRIO…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,396 Views)

Hey GerdW,

Okay then, I am not really sure about making the communication between these VI's and if it can be still hosted inside a project (it might, just one under RIO and one under my system)... will check on that (or if you can guide me through some example, that would very much appreciated 🙂 )

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,

Sara

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,382 Views)

@sna_31 wrote:

Okay then, I am not really sure about making the communication between these VI's and if it can be still hosted inside a project (it might, just one under RIO and one under my system)... will check on that (or if you can guide me through some example, that would very much appreciated 🙂 )

A single project can have multiple targets.  Your case, you have "My Computer" and your cRIO.  As far as communication, just look in the Example Finder (Help->Find Examples) for TCP communication. There should be "Server" and "Client" examples.  Fixed IP address will make this a lot simpler.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,377 Views)

Hi Sara,

@sna_31 wrote:

I am not really sure about making the communication between these VI's and if it can be still hosted inside a project (it might, just one under RIO and one under my system)... will check on that (or if you can guide me through some example, that would very much appreciated 🙂 )

LabVIEW comes with a huge library of example VIs and projects.

There are example projects for RIO targets, also explaining way to communicate between host and target!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,375 Views)