From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA Error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm currently having trouble with NI VISA. There is an NI VISA exclamation point in MAX and I've done everything I can think of to remove it but it is still there. When I connect my device I could see it in Device Manager but it is not accessible in NI MAX or LabVIEW. When I tried another PC I had no problems. This other PC did not have the NI MAX VISA Error on it. Has anyone seen this type of issue before? See attached screenshot. Please any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,270 Views)

Hi SolPS. 

Please indicate what steps you've taken in order to resolve this issue, as it's difficult to know what you can think of as a solution. 

I'm assuming you've tried to repair and reinstall your NI-VISA driver? 

Do you have other VISA drivers installed, like Keysight or HP? 

Have you tried changing your primary VISA passport?

Personally, I'd start with this article: Error -1073807302 When Calling viFindRsrc With Keysight Hardware - NI

Kind regards 

Andreas

Kind regards
LabVIEW Fairy

cRIO Enthusiast
Please mark solutions when appropriate.
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,216 Views)

Hi Andreas,

I have taken several steps to the fix the problem without success.  The  steps taken so far includes the following:

1. Performed a repair of NI VISA

2. Uninstalled Agilent IO libraries which included command expert

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled NI LabVIEW and Device drivers

4. Disabled and enabled NI VISA Passports

I have 2 LabVIEW versions installed on my machine namely 2018 and 2019. I reinstalled 2018, first and then 2019 and during this process, I noticed that the error went away after LabVIEW 2018 was installed. That is the error no longer appeared in NI MAX after 2018 installation. However, when 2019 was installed, the VISA Error reappeared. 

Again, the issue is that I cannot access my usb to serial device in both MAX and LabVIEW but it is available in Device Manager. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,190 Views)

To help find a solution you need to provide a few more details.

What model USB-Serial device?  What NI-VISA, NI-488 version are you installing?   Does it require its own driver?  Did you plug the device in before installing? 

Why did you install Keysight VISA?  If you want to have both VISA versions installed at the same time you need to enable a few settings, as described here: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHh0CAG&l=en-CA

Also make sure that your LabVIEW code isn't running while NI-MAX is open.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,169 Views)

Hi cstorey,

I'm using US-313 Brainboxes usb to serial device. I just upgraded to NI VISA 21.5 with the hope that upgrading my VISA version will fix the problem but it didn't. I have NI 488.2 version 19.5. The device has it's own driver which I installed on two machines. I could access the device on one machine but not on the other. By access I meant availability in MAX and LabVIEW. The device was plugged in before the driver installed.

I uninstalled all Keysight drivers as part of effort to fix the issue so I currently do not have any Keysight VISA installed. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,156 Views)

Here are a few suggestions and comments.

If you plan to use LabVIEW 2019, then use NI-VISA with the matching version number (i.e. 2019).  Don't try to use newer NI-VISA with older versions of LabVIEW.  It's usually not a problem but in 3 years there are a lot of OS support changes that may cause issues.  You'd have to look up backward compatibility for new drivers with older LabVIEW, but if the version numbers match you are safest. 

Are you using an old OS as well?  Or are you trying to run LabVIEW 2019 on Win10/Win11?  Do all the drivers work on that OS?

Keysight IO libraries installs Keysight VISA by default.  It might still be on the machine depending on what you uninstalled.  I'd check if NI-MAX detects other VISA installs just to be safe.

My preferred order of install would be LabVIEW, then installl all the necessary LabVIEW drivers (NI-VISA, etc..), then install instrument specific drivers with instruments unplugged.  Reboot as required, then plug in instruments and hopefully they will be detected by OS and NI-MAX.

Next make sure you disable USB selective suspend - https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/what-is-usb-selective-suspend-on-windows-10-and-how-to-disable-i...

Hope that helps.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,138 Views)

Hi cstorey

I will try your suggestions and try to match the VISA version to my LabVIEW 2019. The OS on my machine is windows 10 and all the drivers work to the best of my knowledge.  I removed all Keysight software so I do not have Keysight VISA. I will also look into the USB selective suspend as well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SolPS

I uninstalled and reinstalled LabVIEW and then unchecked one of the VISA Passports and this fixed the problem. The specific passport in my case is the NI VISA Passport for TCPIP and VXI-11.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,055 Views)