cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Manager

So I was doing some googling this morning and found this:

http://www.ni.com/download/package-manager-1.0/6604/en/

There is a manual here:

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/ni-package-manager/1.0/manual/manual-overview/

but it doesn't really go into a whole lot of detail about what it actually is.  Does anyone have any more information? I've installed it on my home computer and it looks like it is going to be really useful.   There is an add-on called LabVIEW package builder so perhaps this is an official NI alternative to VIPM?  I can't test the package builder out right now as I don't have LabVIEW on this computer and my work computer is Windows 32bit, it looks like this is 64 bit only at the moment.  Does anyone know if it will be coming to Windows 32 bit?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,287 Views)

NI Package Manager is basically a replacement for VIPM.  But it will also be how you will install drivers, toolkits, and even LabVIEW.  As far as I know, it will only be 64-bit (just like NXG will only be 64-bit).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,252 Views)

This was just introduced at NI Week. You can watch a YouTube video with a short demo at this link:

<https://youtu.be/N3y9bL0CtEs?list=PLlys7J2EbeEkloxPqzGNIndMxr_1ke-Nb&t=254>

Message 3 of 12
(7,223 Views)

Thanks for that link.  I really like the direction NI is going with this but it would be a shame if it was 64 bit only.  It would probably mean I wouldn't really be able to use it for several years.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,191 Views)

To be clear you can using it on Windows 64-bit with 32-bit applications.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,170 Views)

Miles1

You are correct that the first release of NI Package Manager is a 64-bit application and can run only on a 64-bit OS. We understand that support for 32-bit OS is a requirement for some customers.  We have recorded this requirement to be evaluated for future versions.

Eric Reffett | Director, Product Management | 1.512.683.8165 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,144 Views)

Have some people looked further into using the NI package manager? I tried to build a package for code distribution (to see if it would  be feasible to replace VIPM) but couldn't see a way to symbolically target folders like <vi.lib>. Is there any more documentation out that I'm missing?

Many thanks

Mathis

Message 7 of 12
(7,065 Views)

I'm also very interested in this. I find JKI VIPM very comfortable for many aspects (e.g. package metadata, quickly editing your palettes, targeting specific installation folders) but also terribly slow. A NI "official" solution to packaging would be great.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,266 Views)

ha scritto:

Have some people looked further into using the NI package manager? I tried to build a package for code distribution (to see if it would  be feasible to replace VIPM) but couldn't see a way to symbolically target folders like <vi.lib>. Is there any more documentation out that I'm missing?

I just tried this, you can target vi.lib or or any subfolder by creating the appropriate tree inside the appropriate target root, like this:

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 12
(6,147 Views)

Somebody know how to change language in NI Package Manager because i have German version of Windows and it installs in German, but i need English.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,969 Views)