From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9212 FPGA & C++ Fixed Point help

I have a fixed point reading from my module, 9212 in FPGA and it is (for lack of better words) a very whack fixed point value - see my first attachment. It looks to be a signed 24,-2. Now currently, I am converting that to an I32 (see second attachment) and sending it through my C API to my C++ code. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to convert the c++ integer back into a usable value. What I do have is a formula to convert a 16.16 signed fixed point value back into something that I can use. Is there a way to convert my whack fixed point value into a 16.16 one before I convert it to an I32 in my VI?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,236 Views)

Hi baconman,

a very whack fixed point value - see my first attachment. It looks to be a signed 24,-2.

The thermocouple reading is with unit V with a range of ±125mV, so you get a FXP with the very same range of ±1.25e-1 (V!). That's surely not "whacky"!

Why don't you convert that FXP to a float value, either SGL or DBL? Which integer values do you receive?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,221 Views)

I am working with LabView FPGA. I can only send integers and booleans through the C API so converting to a float or double is no use to me since I can't send them. I have to send a fixed point that represents a float or boolean, I just need to figure out how to convert my 24,-2 fixed point into a 16,16 fixed point before I convert it to an I32 to send. I don't mind if I lose some resolution.

Ok it took me a second to realize what you meant, sorry! If I convert my fixed point to single-point and then to fixed point again, I can choose my word and integer lengths. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,216 Views)