LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHR DC Load drivers

Solved!
Go to solution

I don't know if anyone else has used NH Research test equipment (Just DON'T) 

I am in search of the NHR software and LabVIEW drivers. 

I have a request in with NHR but as anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with them knows, NHR is not very responsive when it comes to technical support.

If anyone here has a somewhat recent copy of their software package for the NHR 4700 series DC loads I would love to get a copy from you.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(3,149 Views)

I finally got a copy of the NHR software from NHR and found this:

NHR-DCL Err2.PNG

NHR-DCL Err3.PNG

Am I wrong here?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 24
(3,111 Views)

I would say it's hard to tell if it "can ever work" or not, without knowing what's going on inside the function called. Assuming the local always gets typecasted to the same number, it could be that the function behaves differently when it receives that value as an input instead of any other value. No idea why a dev would do it like that but that was my first thought as to how it could possibly work in its current state.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 24
(3,105 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

I would say it's hard to tell if it "can ever work" or not, without knowing what's going on inside the function called. Assuming the local always gets typecasted to the same number, it could be that the function behaves differently when it receives that value as an input instead of any other value. No idea why a dev would do it like that but that was my first thought as to how it could possibly work in its current state.

I guess if the DLL does something magic inside.

My thoughts are when the DLL call is made, the Local would always be "default value" (empty VISA reference) since it is a copy of the Instrument Handle Out indicator that is the output of the IVI function that has not been executed yet.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 24
(3,098 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

My thoughts are the DLL call is made Local would always be "default value" (empty VISA reference) since it is a copy of the Instrument Handle Out indicator that is the output of the IVI function that has not been executed yet.

Two reasons come to mind as to why that local is there, 1. the dev for some reason used it as a constant instead of just creating an actual constant, and 2. the dev added it so they could test the initialization VI/dll call by itself.

In the 2nd case, the local would not always be empty as the dev would run it the first time and the indicator would populate, then a second time and the local would then contain the first run's value.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(3,093 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

In the 2nd case, the local would not always be empty as the dev would run it the first time and the indicator would populate, then a second time and the local would then contain the first run's value.

My concern is that the developer basically did something like this (Maybe after they changed something irrelevant...) and the VI worked so they saved it and moved on. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 24
(3,080 Views)

As I suspected the Local Variable and Instrument Handle Out indicator are always empty...

NHR-DCL Err4.PNG

Although I see it is more than a "VISA Reference"

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(3,073 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU

I have been using a 4700 DC Load for about five years. It has been a pain. To get the driver to work, you need to use the Port Configure and then the System Configuration. The name in the System Configuration needs to match up with name in the Resource Name. The LabVIEW tools, NI MAX does not work. NHR uses several files in the Registry files to run their DLL files. I have had good response from NHR over the years when I call them directly by phone. I have my contact that I can call or email if I have problems. He sent me a document to set up the configurations, much better then what the manuals had, which I use all of the time. Now we have two of these loads, my boss like the price, I hate them. It is even more of a pain trying to switch between loads. If it was my choice I would not buy their equipment.   

Message 8 of 24
(3,061 Views)

@BillPadilla wrote:

I have been using a 4700 DC Load for about five years. It has been a pain. To get the driver to work, you need to use the Port Configure and then the System Configuration. The name in the System Configuration needs to match up with name in the Resource Name. The LabVIEW tools, NI MAX does not work. NHR uses several files in the Registry files to run their DLL files. I have had good response from NHR over the years when I call them directly by phone. I have my contact that I can call or email if I have problems. He sent me a document to set up the configurations, much better then what the manuals had, which I use all of the time. Now we have two of these loads, my boss like the price, I hate them. It is even more of a pain trying to switch between loads. If it was my choice I would not buy their equipment.   

Yeah I we been using an NHR 4600 AC loads for quite some time and they area P.I.T.A. to program. I begged and pleaded for our company to NOT buy NHR for this project... But in the end it always comes down to $$$ and NHR is cheaper than better supported brands like California Instruments and TDI Dynaload (the products we used on previous test systems)

I am used to going through the NHR port  and system "configurators"

The LabVIEW for the 4700 is different than the 4600. The 4600 does not use VISA, LXI, or IVI.

The Initialization vi for the 4600 opens an "Instrument Handle" that gets passed to the NHR vi's like a VISA session. On initialization the NHR "splash screen" pops up.  

So I am kind of at a loss here. But I will try your recommendation "The name in the System Configuration needs to match up with name in the Resource Name. ".

That might just be it. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(3,057 Views)

@BillPadilla wrote:

To get the driver to work, you need to use the Port Configure and then the System Configuration. The name in the System Configuration needs to match up with name in the Resource Name.

I am not sure what you mean here...

This is what the NHR System Configurator looks like

ConfigurCapture.PNG

Should I name it NHR4760 in NI-MAX VISA alias?

nimaxCapture.PNG

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 24
(3,053 Views)