LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyRIO-1900: How to make an exe file to control myrio?

Hi,

I understand you can build a real-time application which can run as a standalone in the myrio-1900 so that laptop is not needed, and it will run continuously.

however, what i want is an exe file which will be able to connect to the myrio and be able to control the myrio as i would do on the front panel. is this possible?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,576 Views)

Hey JitheshS,

To confirm, you are looking to deploy an executable on the host computer that connects and controls your MyRIO?

If so, yeah that is definitely possible. You would have to build the host application to programmatically establish a connection with the MyRIO, and then use any Host<->RT communication methods to transfer data.

Here is some relevant information:https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Programatically-deploy-and-call-a-Real-Time-Application-from/td-p/3...
https://learn-cf.ni.com/teach/riodevguide/guide/rt-pc_inter-target-communication.html

Hope that helps you get started.

Best, Jelmer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,553 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply! It was very useful and I'm doing some research right now how to do it.

So from what I understand, in order to make an executable which is able to use a VI to control the myRIO (this VI sends information and receives information back from myRIO), I need to program at the beginning of the VI which will programmatically connect to the myRIO? I saw using WebDAV, you should be able to connect to the myRIO in order to send and receive information with the myRIO RT target?

Just to clarify again, I don't want to use a continuously running program on the myRIO but instead I want to have front panel features in an executable which will run a VI in the myRIO, and be able to send and receive information using this executable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,545 Views)

Hi Jitesh,

Just to clarify again, I don't want to use a continuously running program on the myRIO

Yes, you want an executable on your myRIO running continuously!

How should your PC connect to the myRIO when there is no executable running?

I want to have front panel features in an executable which will run a VI in the myRIO, and be able to send and receive information using this executable.

The executable on your PC will communicate with an executable running on the myRIO.

LabVIEW also comes with example projects. There are examples explaining how to setup communication between PC and (my)RIO devices!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,543 Views)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm getting started on this.

I was browsing other threads and came across this one, this person seemed to have the same question as I do however the reply suggested it is not possible?

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Academic-Hardware-Products-myDAQ/Build-a-myRio-Project-As-An-Exe/td-p/30629...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,520 Views)

That thread is not really relevant, because it is partly confused and partly wrong.

But what LabVIEW system do you have? Which LabVIEW components? Do you have Base, Full, Professional?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,510 Views)

I am using LabVIEW 2017 32-bit version, professional license. The option for "build application (exe) from vi" is greyed out for me, not sure why

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,499 Views)

I don't know that option at all and never used it. It most likely is not an option for RT targets at all.

A realtime target has different considerations. The way to build an executable to run on such a target is to create a Build Specification in the project tree. When you have a project you have the My Computer target and underneath another target for each realtime controller that LabVIEW sees or has seen attached to your computer.

And just like the regular way to build an executable for your host system you have under each a folder called Build Specification, Right click on that.

For your My Computer host system you have an entry New->Application (EXE) and for your realtime target you have a corresponding entry New->Real-Time Application. This will create a new Build Specification. Open it and add your top level VI in the according place and look through the other configuration settings to change the name for the target executable and other things. Then Build it. After it is build you can also directly Deploy the executable to your target if it is attached to your computer.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,496 Views)