LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My CLD exam score and new strategy

Style 13/15, Documentation 10/10, Functionality 3/15 :womansad: I only need 4 more points :womansad:

I coded really slow; I didn't use quick drop, didn't use automatic tool.  My program couldn't start at all because of the broken tunnels at the state machine case structure, from a result of not planning my time well, and dappling code here and there in panic. 

There was NO TIME to complete all the requirements. So I am thinking of this strategy:

1. Code a solid state machine shell first.

2. Place empty place holders for subvis (empty subvis without wires inside, only subvi shells)

3. Aim to complete half of the required subvis. The other 50% of the subvis only do if enough time. 

4. Perform all the above in 2.5 hours. Make sure the vi can run with 50% of the functionality. 

5. Then 45 minutes documentation, 45 minutes style. (I might do documentation when reading the question)

6. Get use to quick drop and automatic tool. 

So what do you think of my strategy?  :womanvery-happy:

Message 1 of 5
(3,848 Views)

You left out "document want you plan to to do" as teh first step.

The graders read your comments and if they can sense that you knew what to do but did not have time, they give credit for that.

It got me past my CLD exam.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 5
(3,837 Views)

Well... sorry for that.

I believe you need practice.

Get a clock on your desk and count the time until you can finish the sample test in time.

And it also gives you a lot of confidence.

Good luck next time!

Message 3 of 5
(3,832 Views)

1. That is a good idea

2. If the subvis have the controls and connector pane yes. This is a good time to fill in the documentation properties and make a quick icon since you already have it open. Also place free text in the BD describing what the vi does. That and the documentation properties will help you since you will not have to look at the project specification as much when doing the implementation.

3. If you mean 50% of the functionality that should help you get a passing score. It seems reasonable to have no more than six subvis so half of this is only three. It really depends on the application and your architecture how much functionality this would cover.

4. Seems reasonable

5. See 2

6 Yes!

Once you know how to solve one of sample exams create it again and again from scratch using quick drop and the auto tool. If you really want to increase your speed do this something like TEN times or even MORE. Record your time for each iteration and plot it. When the delta starts to decrease you will be very much faster than now. Make sure you pay attention to style and documentation while timing yourself. Again see 2. Spend the last 30 minutes or so going over everything. Save and close your project and open it again just to make sure everything is still good. Use the hierarchy view to make sure you have all your icons and documentation properties. But if you remember 2 you will be fine there.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 4 of 5
(3,823 Views)

@sunflower2772 wrote:

Style 13/15, Documentation 10/10, Functionality 3/15 :womansad: I only need 4 more points :womansad:

I coded really slow; I didn't use quick drop, didn't use automatic tool.  My program couldn't start at all because of the broken tunnels at the state machine case structure, from a result of not planning my time well, and dappling code here and there in panic. 

There was NO TIME to complete all the requirements. So I am thinking of this strategy:

1. Code a solid state machine shell first.

2. Place empty place holders for subvis (empty subvis without wires inside, only subvi shells)

3. Aim to complete half of the required subvis. The other 50% of the subvis only do if enough time. 

4. Perform all the above in 2.5 hours. Make sure the vi can run with 50% of the functionality. 

5. Then 45 minutes documentation, 45 minutes style. (I might do documentation when reading the question)

6. Get use to quick drop and automatic tool. 

So what do you think of my strategy?  :womanvery-happy:

-1) READ the spec and ask for any clairification (you read it too fast of course-the proctor probably knows it by heart-and can point you to the line you misread or skipped in you nerviousness)

0) ON PAPER state Archetecture, Major components (File IO, User I/O, Data structures)

0.5) Create project

0.75) Project>Properties edit icon template.

1. LabVIEW will do that for you. New..>Frameworks.  Hitting the New>VI button should be avoided at any cost since you are probably get to 1 of these patterns anyhow save yourself the clicks.

2. Shell code! YES  Name, VI Doc, FP objects (correctly documented) con pane, icon and VI Doc. Wire later! add no functions or wires that did not drop from framework

if you got here in under 2.5 hrs take a ten minute coffee break! no, seriously! you have the concept outlined.  as you wrote the shell what "challenge" did you see? if you need to tweak a major component you haven't hurt yourself coding into a corner.  Do a risk assessment.  What component do you have the least idea about how it will look coded?

3. code the risks FIRST from bottom up in the VI heirarchy window. (if you realize you need another terminal you haven't broken callers! or risked odd wire bends)

4 Wait for your polo shirt

As an asside> I'm a tabber and don't even know how to quick-drop.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 5
(3,805 Views)