From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple inputs

Solved!
Go to solution

So when you said in your first message that you wanted to overwrite the message, you didn't actually mean that since you now say you want to concatenate.

Concatenate those two together and put them in one string indicator.  Your VI shows you already know how to concatenate strings.

I don't understand why you needed to ask the question.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,292 Views)

I don't want to concatenate them. I want to overwrite the old values.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,286 Views)

But you just said you wanted to merge and concatenate them.  So what do you actually want?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,282 Views)

I have two strings, I want one string.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(1,278 Views)

Then just use a local variable as was suggested earlier.

Have you taken the LabVIEW tutorials?  Because I'm quite sure they are mentioned in there.

LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,272 Views)

At the same time I was told to *not* use local variables.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,268 Views)

This is one of those times where it would be appropriate to use a local variable.  Even Bob said in message 3 that many "LabVIEW practicioners would say (Almost) never use a Local Variable'".  He didn't actually say never.

Now I'm not sure why you have the laser 2 indicator inside the for loops since you are going overwrite the values every loop iteration.  It will flash A B A C A D.  Where A is the initial string and B C and D are the new strings that show up on every iteration.  I would just move the local variable outside the loops so it would show A B C D.  A to start and B C D .... on each iteration of the loops.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,260 Views)

Okay, I can use a local variable. But I still don't know how I can change it from two different sources.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,246 Views)

Never mind, I figure it out. I can do more than one variable. That solves my problem. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(1,242 Views)

Right click the terminal.  Create Locat Variable.  Change it to Write mode if necessary.  Wire the other source to that and delete the extra Laser 2 indicator.

Please take those tutorials.  This is basic LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(1,238 Views)