LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Strain Gauges

Hi,

I was asked to create a program that can measure many different strain gauges. I am using NI 9237 modules. I created a program that can measure only one module but now I need to measure 16 modules simultaneously (64 channels). I need to be able to select which modules are being used and which channels within the module are being used, maybe like an on/off command. All 64 channels could potentially have different strain gauge and bridge characteristics so I also need a. The computer they have given me does not have any internet or network of any sort so I can't post my block diagram. I've just started using labview this past week and I am a university student with no computer programming experience. I realize I'm being very brief and general but any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,788 Views)

Hi mnorman,

Channel Expansion might be worth considering I’ve included a link with more information below.

Channel Expansion Explained:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/52634/en/

This would allow you to incorporate multiple modules in one or two tasks. You could also implement logic to save data or delete/ignore date. As far as an On/Off command you could go about this many different ways, but ultimately you could incorporate some type of Boolean logic to determine the data you want to keep from which modules.

I hope you find this information helpful!

- Kale

Message 2 of 4
(2,751 Views)

Thanks so much. That helped a lot!

On my front panel, I want to have a separate panel that opens when the user clicks a button of some sort to minimize clutter and such. Is there a way to go about doing this?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,729 Views)

Hi mnorman,

I'm glad to hear that helped! It sounds like you might want to incorporate some type of State Machine or Queued Message Handler architecture. It would be worth taking a look at the examples Queued Message Handler Fundamentals.vi and State Machine Fundamentals.vi in the NI Example Finder (Help >> Find Examples...). 

- Kale

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,707 Views)