From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Screen/Monitor Application - Best Method

Hello,

Not strictly a LabVIEW question, but maybe something that some of you will have come across and can give me some thoughts on.

I have been asked to develop a LabVIEW application which will require six monitors to be connected back to one central PC to show some timing information. Each monitor will show some specific information for the particular station that it is housed on.

I am trying to come up with best method and most cost effective solution of connecting all these monitors back to one PC.

The Monitors have HDMI & VGA video connections.

One method that I have thought of is to use 6 x USB to VGA converters which are all connected to a USB hub then one main USB lead back to the PC.

A second possible way (but slightly more expensive) would be to fit a 6 output PCIe graphics card to the PC and connect all monitors back to this. After doing a quick search, I have found this card:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/c680/?wb48617274=6807F866

Only downfall of this is that it has mini-display port outputs and therefore I would have ot convert these to VGA or HDMI which would be an extra cost.

What are you thoughts on this?

Are there any alternative solutions which could work better?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,606 Views)

Hi Rhys,

A second possible way (but slightly more expensive) would be to fit a 6 output PCIe graphics card to the PC and connect all monitors back to this

Well, most (medium-prized) graphics cards can handle 3 monitors, some even more. So you would need just two cards (or one graphics card and additionally 3 USB adapters)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,596 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks for the reply.

What is your opinion on using 6 USB-VGA adaptors via a USB Hub?

Rhys

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,565 Views)