From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Machines

I have around 10 to 15 different machines in my plant.

My project is to get the working status of all the mahines i.e. ON/OFF status.

As far as i checked out, almost all are giving out a constant 24V signal when they are in ON state.

Some of them are giving out a pulse signal during ON/OFF.

Can i use a DIO DAQ card to detect the status.

In case of the 24V supplying machines, 0-24V DIO card (ex. NI PCI 6510) can be used to detect the ON/OFF status.

While for the pulse generating machines. can i use the same card with modification in my LV code for that particular machines?

Please help me on this.

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,820 Views)

How long do the pulses last?

I think if you did a data acquisition where you acquired a digital waveform long enough that you have a pulse or two go by, you should easily be able to distinquish the inputs that are on constantly vs. those that were pulsed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,803 Views)

Or you just physically insert flip-flops in the lines.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,794 Views)

Thank you Raven and Felix.

I have not yet tested the ystem for its pulse duration.

If the pulse width is too low, can i increase the pulse width using some circuit.ie PWM?

Felix: If using flip flops, which chip should i go with?

Regards
Grugh Mike

Success is Everything !!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,777 Views)

My start would be to look if something like this flip-flop from wago fits. I'd look also for alternative products from Phoenix Contacts, Weidemüller...

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,766 Views)

Yes, the DIO would be the best choice for the machines putting out a steady 24V.  Do any of the machines have ethernet?  You could check the on/off status through the network if that is the case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,755 Views)