LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring AB PLC 5-40E Rack Faults

I am using LVDSC 7.1 and am connected to a Allen Bradley PLC 5-40E. I have 7 remote I/O’s. I was wondering if there was a way to monitor the remote I/O racks apart from using RSLOGIX 5. I attached some screen shots.
Roy L. Costa
Email: roycosta@hotmail.com
Catalyst Test Engineer
General Motors Warren Tech Center (R & D)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,035 Views)
Hello Roy,

Here are the assumptions that I made from your question. You are using the Allen Bradley OPC server for the PLC in question and you are able to see the status of the registers from the server itself. Now you want to know a way of reading the 7 values into LabVIEW. If this is the case then my solution is below

Make sure you connect to the OPC server from LabVIEW DSC using TAGs from the Tag Configuration Editor. Once inside the tag configuration editor, you might see a specific tag for the fault register, and you can simply use those tags to read in the value. For troubleshooting purposes, you can also simply use datasocket connection to the OPC server and read the values and see if they are working out.

But if you have already done this, but there are no specific tags that you can read that would have the fault information (I am sure the OPC server would have this in some register), then you might want to talk to the AB people and see what can be done.

If I have gotten the question totally wrong, please repost.

Regards,

Arun V
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,014 Views)
Hello Arun

Yes, I am alrady using hundreds of tags (both reading and writeing to the PLC using OPC). I could by trail and error go through and try try different registors until I find the right one that I am looking for I was hopeing someone out there knew the address's to save me some work. I agree about contacting AB and that is my next step. When I do find the answer I will post the answer in here so others my know about it.

Thanks Arun

Roy
Roy L. Costa
Email: roycosta@hotmail.com
Catalyst Test Engineer
General Motors Warren Tech Center (R & D)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,004 Views)