LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model not identified

I'm using an Agilent E4438C, and the driver "agesg" (agesg_32.dll) works fine for most instances, but I've encountered a strange bug.  I tried changing the symbol rate using Modify TDMA Standard.vi and it would only let me change the symol rate up to 12.5 Msps.  I've checked the ranges, and apparently tat's the upper limit for all models supported by this driver other than the E4438C.  Apparently, it's not understanding the model when it checks what range to use.  I've added in a check on the model number in the attached VI, and it always returns E4438C, however, when I check the text version of agesg, the function it says is used when symbol rate is changed is for attr4438c.  I don't believe I can change the model it thinks I have to 4438c instead of  E4438C, even though one is just shorthand for the other, so is it the driver's fault?  How can I fix the driver?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,599 Views)
If you are using the IVI driver, then the only way to modify the driver itself is with a copy of LabWindows/CVI. However, since you are not using the class driver, i don't see why you are using the IVI driver. Have you tried the LabVIEW driver? If there is a problem with that, you can edit it as much as you like.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,595 Views)

I've attempted to use hpesgd, the LabVIEW driver, but it doesn't hve any commands for symbol rate, which is what I'm trying to control.  Who should I be contacting about instrument driver problems? 

Happy Fourth of July!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,567 Views)

The first thing I do when I can't immediately find something, is to locate the command in the programming manual, open the VI Tree, and do a text search. I did this for the command SRAT and found it in hpesgdxx Config Dual Arb. I have no idea if this is the command you need. The instrument is very complex with all of the different options. The programming manual is in 3 volumes!

If you can't find the command in the driver, then you can implement your own function and add it to the driver. That is one of the reasons NI provides the source code for all of their drivers and why I would recomend you use the LabVIEW driver. Creating a new function for the driver is usually pretty simple and you have the rest of the driver to use as a template. Anyone who is using LabVIEW in the first place should be able to do this. Since you already have the IVI driver, a quick way to learn the necessary SCPI commands is to turn on NI-Spy, run the IVI function, and copy the command from the capture.

To try to get the driver modified by NI, there is the 'Give Driver Feedback' link at the top of the download page. I don't know how long it would take to get an updated driver.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,549 Views)
Thanks.  I found the command in the programming manual: ":RAD:SRAT 16e+6" and have been able to issue a VISA write to the instrument successfully.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,517 Views)