From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus tcp 1.2 problem with labview 8.5

Solved!
Go to solution
I have a new project coming up that involves a modbus tcp link.  I downloaded the modbus library version 1.2 and installed it.  Everything shows up on my pallete, however if i try to open one of the examples it comes up as being for version 8.6.  I am currently using 8.5 but the download states that it works all the way back to 7.1.  Any ideas?   
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,917 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ssilk

Are you sure you selected the correct folder for the "installation"? When you download the NI Modbus Library 1.2 (from here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019), you get a zip file. Inside that file, you'll see 4 folders, one for LabVIEW 7.1, (Folder 71), one for LV 8.2 (Folder 82), and also folders 85 and 86. So make sure you did the installation procedure with the correct folder.

Let us know if this helps or not.

Regards.

Robst.

Robst - CLD

Using LabVIEW since version 7.0

Message 2 of 9
(4,913 Views)
The zip file has different folders for 7.1, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6.  Make sure you load the files from the folder that matches your version.  Make sure you read the readme file for how to copy/install.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,909 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:
The zip file has different folders for 7.1, 8.2, 8.5, 8.6.  Make sure you load the files from the folder that matches your version.  Make sure you read the readme file for how to copy/install.

doh!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,897 Views)

Hi,
I installed Modbus 1.2 on LabView 8.5 accordingly to the Install ReadMe File on Win Server 2003 R2 SP2 Ent. Ed. x32:
Installing NI-MODBUS Library. The effect is, that I can find below Tools-> Advanced-> Edit Palette Set -> User Libraries -> Modbus = all vi ->

All Modbus Vis

but

1. these vi are not existant - I can' start them!!! and
2. if I make a new Library and want to make a new I/O Server the Menu-entry is not there!!!

Therefore I am convinced, that modbus 1.2 does not correctly install in Labview 8.5

Please drop me a line!
Sabrina Andrea Bangert - Herrzogenrath 2010

* Close LabVIEW.
    * If you have version NI-MODBUS Library 1.1 on your system, it is recommended to uninstall it by going to Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> National Instruments Software and select NI Modbus 1.1 from the list.
    * Copy NI Modbus.llb from the 85\vi.lib folder to the LabVIEW_ROOT\vi.lib directory where 85 is your LabVIEW version (example 86 for 8.6) and is the root folder where you installed LabVIEW.
    * Copy lvmodbus.chm and lvmodbus.txt from 85\help to the LabVIEW_ROOT\help directory.
    * Copy nimodbus.mnu from 85\user.lib to the LabVIEW_ROOT\user.lib directory.
    * Restart LabVIEW. You should see the NI Modbus palette in the User Libraries palette.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,368 Views)

Hi,

here you can see the missing  menu entry in my installation (picture1) and the correct menu entries in your demo video (picture2):

picture1                                                                                                                                picture2                                           

Modbus12-Missing-IO.JPG  Modbus12-Correct-IO.JPG

Sabrina Andrea Bangert - Herzogenrath 2010

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,337 Views)

Modbus12-VI-Working.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,332 Views)

Hi Sabrina,

You don't have the option to create an I/O Server in your project. The ability to create an I/O Server is added to LabVIEW by installing the LabVIEW Real-Time Module, which adds Modbus I/O Server support, or the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control (DSC) Module, which adds Modbus, OPC Client, Alarm Printer, Data Set Marking, EPICS Client, and Custom I/O Server support.

IO Server.png

For more Information please go to: NI LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module

I hope this will help

Kind regards,

Houssam Kassri

NI Germany

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,326 Views)

OkyDocy - Thanks a lot Houssam!

Axel and Sabrina

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,323 Views)