LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modbus TCP Slave Configuration using I/O Server

I have a Labview 2020 Project that connects to an external PLC over Modbus TCP.  I set up the communication using an I/O Server.  The modbus communication works great when I am on the development PC, running in either development mode or as an executable.  However, the Modbus communication portion doesn't work at all when I try to run this executable on the deployment computer with Labview 2020 SP1 Runtime.

I am did read that the Modbus I/O Server does require either the Labview DSC module, or the Labview Real-Time Module.  I only have the Labview Real-Time Module as part of the "Embedded Control and Monitoring Software Suite".  

Should this work?  Is there another Runtime or Driver that I need to install?

I hope I have attached the right files to allow you to see my I/O server setup.

Thank you

-John

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,218 Views)

Hello,

Yes it should work.  Here're some useful links that can help. 

Creating Modbus I/O Servers

Configure Modbus I/O Server Dialog Box

Troubleshooting Modbus I/O Servers

And could You please say are there any error pop-up windows when You're trying to run this executable on the deployment computer?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,161 Views)

@Mr.Genius wrote:

Hello,

Yes it should work.  Here're some useful links that can help. 

Creating Modbus I/O Servers

Configure Modbus I/O Server Dialog Box

Troubleshooting Modbus I/O Servers

And could You please say are there any error pop-up windows when You're trying to run this executable on the deployment computer?

Thank you for your reply.  I used those links when creating my I/O server.  Sadly there isn't anything there that would help resolve my issue.  There are no error pop-ups when i am running this executable on the deployment computer.

I have contacted NI directly last week and put in a ticket.  The support person is able to recreate my problem but is still trying to figure out why this is happening. 

I will keep you guys posted here with how this gets resolved so it can help someone else out in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,144 Views)

Some suggestions if you haven't already tried them:

-create an installer from the source project and let LabVIEW automatically determine which components should be installed on the deployment computer, run that installer there

-on the exe build specification, review the shared variable deployment settings used for runtime, there may be something there that isn't set correctly

-NI Distributed System Manager may be useful to help with troubleshooting (gives some visibility to what NI's Shared Variable Engine is doing)

-The Shared Variable Engine system service may need specific Windows user login credentials

-Run things as Administrator

-scrap I/O server route and use one of the other options:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019?profile.language=e...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,135 Views)

@playerm1 wrote:

Some suggestions if you haven't already tried them:

-create an installer from the source project and let LabVIEW automatically determine which components should be installed on the deployment computer, run that installer there

-on the exe build specification, review the shared variable deployment settings used for runtime, there may be something there that isn't set correctly

-NI Distributed System Manager may be useful to help with troubleshooting (gives some visibility to what NI's Shared Variable Engine is doing)

-The Shared Variable Engine system service may need specific Windows user login credentials

-Run things as Administrator

-scrap I/O server route and use one of the other options:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Reference-Design-Content/LabVIEW-Modbus-API/ta-p/3524019?profile.language=e...

Thank you playerm1 for your reply.

I have tried everything that you listed with the NI support tech.  

I rewrote the code using the modbus library instead of the I/O Server.  It works great this way.

I am still hoping for a resolution on this issue so I can understand what is going on.   

Thank you guys for the support.

-John

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,133 Views)