LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing A Sub VI

I am trying to create an xy graph with two arrays as the input when I try to run the program I get the error "SubVI 'Build XY Graph' : SubVI is missing" where can I get the VI and how do I add it to labview

this is the image of the vi on my block diagram

sub vi missing.png

when I know it should look like this 

vi is there.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(5,084 Views)

Your Express VI was turned into a regular subVI by doing an "Open Front Panel" on the original express VI.  If someone saved the newly created subVI, you can go look for it.  If not, you are stuck.  Just delete it and drop a new Express VI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(5,063 Views)

How do I disable the "open front panel"? I tried deleting the VI and dropping a new one in but I am still getting the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(5,048 Views)

What version of LabVIEW are you using?

I was about to reply how you go to the front panel of your VI, go to the graph palette and drop EX XY Graph.  That drops a graph and it is automatically connected to the Express VI on the block diagram.  But when I did it with LV 2019, I got the broken yellow version.  I have never seen it do this before.  I don't use that often, but when I have it always dropped the blue Express VI.  I opened 2018 and did this process with no problem.

I'm wondering if there is a bug in LabVIEW 2019, and if you are using 2019, that it is a bug that you have found.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(5,001 Views)

yes i'm using 2019 so great I can't do my homework with this version

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(4,966 Views)

As a "Reality Check", I also tried dropping an Express Graph (ooh, I really dislike Express VIs) on my Windows 10 (x64)/LabVIEW 2019.0f2 (32-bit) system.  Block Diagram looks fine to me (see below for Snippet).Ex XY GraphEx XY Graph

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(4,937 Views)

Hi ben,

@benm92 wrote:

great I can't do my homework with this version

Well, most of us are able to display plots in XY graphs without using that special ExpressVI.

Go ahead, you will be able to solve your homework!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 29
(4,918 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

As a "Reality Check", I also tried dropping an Express Graph (ooh, I really dislike Express VIs) on my Windows 10 (x64)/LabVIEW 2019.0f2 (32-bit) system.  Block Diagram looks fine to me (see below for Snippet).Ex XY GraphEx XY Graph

Bob Schor

I think this problem may only be in the student version my teacher couldn't re-create the bug either but i did find a way to graph without the express VI. It was just annoying because that was the only way my online class showed me how to make an xy graph. This is still something that needs to be fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(4,889 Views)

@benm92 wrote:
It was just annoying because that was the only way my online class showed me how to make an xy graph. This is still something that needs to be fixed.

That does sound annoying. Perhaps you could find a different course? 😉

Joking aside, you can definitely create XY Graphs comfortably without using the Express Nodes or the Dynamic Data Type wire (the thick dark blue wire by default).

It sounds like you've already discovered how, but for the complete list of possibilities you can right click on an XY Graph indicator (on the block diagram) and choose "Help". This will open the detailed help (also available from a link in the Context Help) which contains a section about the different ways you can input values to an XY Graph.

There's an article here about different options for XY Graphs here: Different Methods for Representing Data on an XY Graph

The detailed help can be found online here: Types of Graphs and Charts (XY Graphs).

GCentral
Message 9 of 29
(4,879 Views)

To wire two arrays (one for x, one for y) to an xy graph, all you need is wire the two arrays to "RE/IM to complex" (or similar) and wire the resulting complex array to the terminal of the xy graph and the rest will fall into place.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(4,872 Views)