LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7 - Labview

Hi there,

Can you confirm if labview is compatible with the OS version:

"Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7" ?

Find bellow the full details of the PC and OS:

ULTRA COMPACT CONTROL CABINET PC
Intel® Atom™ E3815, 1.46 GHz, 1 core
compact motherboard for Intel® Atom™
2 GB DDR3L RAM, expandable ex factory to 4 GB
Graphic adapter integrated inside the Intel® processor, 1 DisplayPort
on-board dual Ethernet adapter with 2 x 100/1000BASE-T connector
30 GB M.2 SSD, 3D flash, extended temperature range

Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7, English

Thanks a lot,

Carlos Silva

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,100 Views)

I'm afraid it won't.  These Windows editions are like .net runtime envirenments.  You can use embedded pro edditions I think, as they are like full Windows. Check carefully though, it's not clear.

I know this is a basic answer that can be expanded on, maybe others have more info but this is my experience.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,090 Views)

The windows touch panel module builds applications that work with Windows 7 Embedded. I have used it in the past to make some simple GUI for Touchpanel HMIs. However, if you intend on doing something more sophisticated you might have some trouble, since I don't know what kind of compatibility issues may occur.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,052 Views)

Microsoft really created a mess with the naming of the various embedded editions since Windows 7 and made the whole thing even more confusing when they introduced the Windows 10 variants.

Windows Embedded 7 comes in several flavors that are fundamentally different.

The Compact edition is similar to the previous Windows CE platform and shares a lot of the low level kernel with Windows Phone. As such it is NOT a Win32 platform and that is the only one current LabVIEW can create executables for. There used to be a LabVIEW PDA Toolkit which supported Windows CE 4.0 and 5.0 but that has been discontinued since LabVIEW 2011, since Microsoft has dropped the ball there too.

For LabVIEW (executables) you need one of the Windows 7 Embedded Standard/Professional/Enterprise platforms.

If you want to use Windows 10 IoT you absolutely have to use the Enterprise edition as that is the only one with a full Win32 Subsystem. The others are either similar to Windows CE/Phone running on multiple CPU architectures like ARM too, but without Win32 subsystem, or like Windows S, which is a .NET runtime based system only and lacks a Win32 Subsystem too.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 4
(4,041 Views)