From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menu Ring disabled update bug

Solved!
Go to solution

Currently still on Labview 2011 (upgrading within a few weeks to 2012 SP1) I have the following bug:

If a Menu Ring is disabled and has a "normal" (non-empty) value it will keep its contents (meaning: shown text will remain) when you overwrite StringsAndValues[] with an empty array.

I was unable to find anything about it either officially fixed / known or on this forum, meaning it will probably still be there in the latest version.

Can someone please verify to see if this bug indeed (still) exists in the latest Labview version?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,672 Views)

I just checked this out on 2012 SP1, and if you write an empty array to the StringsAndValues property, it will not change the displayed text (regardless of whether the control is enabled or not). This had not been previously reported to R&D, so I filed CAR 402291. 

As a workaround, you can use a space in the string instead of a completely empty array and that should work as you expect. Since you are not able to define a ring with completely blank elements, I am not surprised this fails, but in my opinion the property node should at least throw an error in that case, which is why I went ahead with the CAR.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Message 2 of 4
(2,654 Views)

Thanks, though I fail to see why a Menu Ring can not be empty.  Imo there should NOT be an error message, but just a plain empty control (or indicator).

I use the Menu Ring to show and allow (if there are other types available) to change a subtype of an electronic product.  The control typically does so for released products, meaning I filter out products (and subtypes) still under development (or still undefined).  The list can thus be empty.  People busy with development have a setting available to also show (and change to / from) these new or (as of yet) unknown types and products.  When there are no elements (in this case: subtypes) or only one the control is disabled.

I looked further into this and at no point does Labview mention, force or coerce a user to have at least one element in a (Menu) Ring.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,639 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ettepet

@Ettepet wrote:

Thanks, though I fail to see why a Menu Ring can not be empty.  Imo there should NOT be an error message, but just a plain empty control (or indicator).

I agree with that. For some reason in my mind I was thinking it was associating blank strings with valid integer values in the ring, but that is not the case. I agree it should be possible to reset a ring to blank (since that is the default when it is dropped). The visible text is not being updated, which is the bug.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,621 Views)