LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure with Keithley 2000 over RS232

Broken Arrow wrote:
That's a problem with the forum editor, it sees the colon+D as a smile. I thought they fixed it.

Go to your profile.  Preferences Tab, then Display Settings section.  Set Emoticon Type to None.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 56
(3,039 Views)

now i changed the keithley, this one is sending something back!!!

(wd8ivl have you forgottin the ":" before MEAS??)

i work withe the "bytes at port" function to get the byte count for the read VI, my problem is that the read string differs, something it says KEITH than KEITHL than K and so one, no full information, what causes this? how can i fix this?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 56
(3,021 Views)

No it is time for some waits... The instrument has not yet everything, so wait some ms before the read.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 56
(2,999 Views)
im doing this, thats not the reason....
Message 24 of 56
(2,997 Views)

I have a Keithley 2000 in a shop floor application, but I'm using another data acq software package with it (Testpoint) so I don't have a vi to send you (sorry). 

As I recall, I had to drop the baud rate from 19.2K to 9600 to get reliable communications.  I always thought it was because there is a lot of electrical noise - maybe not - maybe it's the meter.

Good luck,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 56
(2,992 Views)

my baud rate is 9600....

im using no flow control, could that be the reason?

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 56
(2,987 Views)

I just looked at my Testpoint application.  I use 9600 baud, Xon/Xoff flow control but no hardware handshaking (I don't think the K2000 supports hardware handshake)

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 56
(2,979 Views)

the problem is, if i use the xon_xoff flow control i get an error...called "timeout expired before operation completed"

my timeout is by 10000ms, should be enough, what causes this error?

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 56
(2,966 Views)

First of all, look at the driver that's been written for the instrument.

Second, if the instrument sends a termination character at the end of each data it sends, enable the termination character in the VISA Configure Serial Port and do NOT use VISA Bytes at Serial Port. Just send the number of bytes to be some large number. The read will automatically terminate when the term character is detected.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 56
(2,962 Views)

i tried everything with an terminal, there its perfectly working.

i worked there with the same setting as in labview, the same commands, it worked even without flow control ...

it has to be a labview problem!

the data is so less, there should be no problem! my commands are right, it has to be the read funciton, what can be wrong with it?

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 56
(2,949 Views)