LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max number of AVI file refs open simultaneously?

I am getting this error when I try to open a bunch of AVI files at the same time:

-1074396001 There are too many AVI sessions open. You must close a session before you can open another one.

I can't find a reference to this limitation anywhere in the Vision literature.  Can someone explain this limitation?

And also explain why it exists?  To me, it sounds like a poorly implemented feature.  I have never seen this behaviour using any other types of files.  IMHO, this should only be limited by the amount of memory. 

I have a very powerful PC, and I want to cache these file references as I open them.  Yes, of course, I know there are workarounds.   But first:  what is the exact limitation here? 

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,935 Views)

Well, we've got an application with 24 cameras monitoring 24 experiment stations, capturing "events" (5-10 second epochs surrounding a digital event), writing the data as AVI files.  Because of the asynchronous nature of the independent events, I don't know how many AVI files are simultaneously open, but I don't recall a "Too many AVI sessions" error.  I'll have to ask my colleague who's actually collecting the videos ...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,924 Views)

Hi josborne,

I'm currently working on digging in to this, but while I dig, I was curious how many AVI references you were opening?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,910 Views)

Hi joshborne,

After some testing, we have determined that the maximum number of open references that you can have is 31.  I was able to open up 31 references simultaneously without error, but as soon as I try opening up a 32nd reference, I receive the same -1074396001 error.  As I believe you already know, the workaround is to maintain less than 32 references open by closing the references in a timely manner.  If you close an AVI reference before you create a new one, then there should not be an issue.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,903 Views)