LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marquee Progress Bar in LabVIEW

"When I wanted a system style continuous progress bar, I simply used the one from the system palette and ran it in a loop with the Q&R primitive so that each time it filled up it would start over."

Thanks, tst. That's another way I've done this in the past, too.  I suppose I could make an XControl so I could just drop it on the front panel...  Some of the other stuff you came up with before sounds pretty interesting.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 42
(3,784 Views)
OK, so here's the one I did after I saw the multiple sliders suggestion (7.0). Instead of doing the Ubuntu-Cylon thing, it does what I think you actually wanted and even sort of looks the same.

Not too shabby!  It does look pretty close.  Sometimes the challenge is more fun than anything.  Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 42
(3,770 Views)

Mr. Jim wrote:

Regarding the .NET version, your last example is exactly what I tried.  It seemed like the right property to change, but when I run your example I'm getting the same error dialog I had before.  (see attached picture)  I know for a fact that the "style" property causes the crash, and it predictably takes down LabVIEW every time, too.  You said you didn't get any errors, though.  I wonder if has to do with the version of the .NET framework or if it matters that I'm using Vista.  I don't think it's a version thing, as I'm running .NET framework version 3.5.  Maybe I should just stop being a perfectionist and use the native LabVIEW progress bar.

tst wrote:

P.S. I also get that error with .NET 2.0 and LV 8.6.

Interesting. I see that error on 8.6 as well. Definitely does not happen in 8.2. I'm running .NET 2.0 on both (I have 8.6 in a virtual machine). An 8.6 bug? Seems like it. Perhaps NI should investigate this further to see if it's an issue with the LV 8.6 <--> .NET interface, though I suspect the fundamental problem is that the control is designed to work within a System.Windows.Forms object, and LabVIEW windows are not that kind of objects.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 42
(3,742 Views)

You might be right about that.  I just searched through the thread and realized that I hadn't mentioned which version of LabVIEW I'm using.  I've been using LabVIEW 8.6 for this application, and thus that's the scope of my previous comments.  Unfortunately, I don't have 8.2 installed anymore; I only have 8.5.1 and 8.6.

I just tried it with LabVIEW 8.5.1 and had the same result.  It could very well be the object class, though obviously I don't know how they've got the .NET interface set up, either.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 42
(3,737 Views)
I'm also running LV8.6 on Vista and I get the same error message / crash. Perhaps it's a Vista thing.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 42
(3,634 Views)
It happened in XP to me.

(3,626 Views)

I've found a workaround for placing a .NET Marquee Progress Bar into a LabVIEW 8.6 Front Panel.

If the Progress Bar is placed into a .NET Panel form then it does not exhibit the .NET crash we've all seen. (I've had the crash mentioned by everyone in this thread on both XP and VISTA, .NET 2.0 and 3.0 - all for LabVIEW 8.6)

Attached is the vi, and a snapshot to show how it appears in VISTA.

Hope this works for everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Thoric on 01-29-2009 04:46 PM
Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Download All
Message 18 of 42
(3,467 Views)

Thoric, that's fantastic!  It works perfectly!  Your method of using the panel form will probably come in handy for other, similar issues, too.

Thanks a lot for your contribution!

Jim
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 42
(3,461 Views)

Another very simple method that I use often to give the appearance of such objects is simply to put a Gif on the front pannel.  This is a no programming markup.  The only problem is finding suitable gifs for your application.  But very easy to do.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 42
(3,447 Views)