cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Icons with an external program?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all.

I am getting thoroughly sick of the Labview icon editor. Does anyone have a nice workflow for using something like Photoshop or Affinity Designer to design icons?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,819 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ASH2020

Hi Andrew,

drap&drop a picture file onto the VI icon…

(Works best when the picture is of size 32×32 pixels.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(4,815 Views)
Really? It's that simple? Thanks Gerd.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,796 Views)

Yes.

Has been this way since years… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 7
(4,787 Views)

You think this editor sucks?  You should try the classic icon editor.  No layers, no glyph library, no transparency on layers, no terminal view, and a bunch of other things.  Back then there was a couple 3rd party icon editor for LabVIEW, like this one, or this one.  In general these editors will have similar functionality to the editor you are familiar with.  The newer editor (the one you are using) is also partially open source and you might be able to find the LabVIEW source and add any functionality you want.  Just be sure and back up the source first.  But I agree that at times it is easier to bring in an icon from something external, and pasting or importing works well enough.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,752 Views)
I often drop a stash of icons from fatcow,  http://www.fatcow.com/free-icons , in the glyph folder (~\Documents\LabVIEW Data\Glyphs), I then delete the bin file in this folder, while LabVIEW is closed. This causes LabVIEW to re-index all of the icons in the LabVIEW Data folder allowing one to have a bunch of icons that are searchable. They are the perfect size too, 32 and 16.
Cheers,
mcduff

Message 6 of 7
(4,675 Views)

@mcduff wrote:
I often drop a stash of icons from fatcow,  http://www.fatcow.com/free-icons , in the glyph folder (~\Documents\LabVIEW Data\Glyphs), I then delete the bin file in this folder, while LabVIEW is closed. This causes LabVIEW to re-index all of the icons in the LabVIEW Data folder allowing one to have a bunch of icons that are searchable. They are the perfect size too, 32 and 16.
Cheers,
mcduff

Wow! Thanks for that. Brilliant solution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,654 Views)