From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main and subvi question

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any difference between the two codes I have attached. They are simple codes, but, I would like to understand main and subvi better. I saw this type of coding in one of the examples.

Notice the second example has a 'while' loop but the STOP=TRUE. This means that it runs only once everytime. But, why should you specifically have a while loop with a STOP=TRUE? How is it different from the first one? Is it just good programming? THanks!

V

I may not be perfect, but I'm all I got!
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,212 Views)

There is no point to the while loop in your 2nd jpeg.  There are subVI's that have a True wired to the stop terminal with a purpose.  They are called functional global variables or Action Engines Those have uninitialized shift registers that can store data between calls of the subVI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,192 Views)

Also note that there is no delay in the main while loops. This will cause a high CPU usage for no good reason.

Use a "Wait(ms)" or "Wait Until Next ms Multiple" function to give the CPU time for other tasks.

steve 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,141 Views)

Yea, I always use delay in while loops, lest my CPU would max out. I put this example up in like a minute without giving so much thought into detail I guess.

I may not be perfect, but I'm all I got!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,111 Views)