cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Office Report Express VI Issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am having some issues with using the MS Office Report Express VI for the first time.  As soon as I place the express VI on the block diagram, the sub VI is not executable (broken run arrow).  At first I thought that this was because nothing was wired to it yet, so I followed This simple example on the NI website, but was still having the same issue.  Upon further examination, it appears that an invoke node within the NI_Excel.lvclass:Excel Sort Data.vi as well as NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:Excel_Save_Workbook.vi contain unwired or bad terminals.  I am hesitant to dive into the express VI and start making changes, because I thought the whole point of an express VI is that it doesn't require any changes by the user, so I am guessing there is something else that I am missing.  I have attached the sample VI for the example in the link, but I have a hunch that it will open and be executable right away on another machine with different settings.  I am trying to determine what needs to be changed about my machine's configuration to enable the Express VI to run with the basic Word template that has been unchanged since LabVIEW's installation.

I am running LabVIEW 2016 and I have Microsoft Office 365 (The fact that it is running 365 and not a version like 2016, maybe the issue is somewhere there?) installed on the development machine.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,314 Views)

The Good News is that you are not completely crazy -- your VI errors out on my LabVIEW 2016 installation (with Office 2013).  However, it loads without errors with LabVIEW 2018 (I didn't actually try to run it, but the Run Arrow was intact).

I've noticed there are some Updates for LabVIEW 2016 -- I've been holding off installing them because I've had some problems with LabVIEW 2017 and am being "extra cautious".  I'm going to call NI and report this as an issue, and if they say "We know about this, it's fixed in (whatever the fix is)", I'll report back here.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,289 Views)

I was in the middle of updating my previous report when a big banner appeared saying "You've run out of time to edit this Report" and threw me off the system!  Grrr...

So an NI Application Engineer was able to verify that the MS Office Report Express VI in LabVIEW 2016 has a Broken Arrow when asked to print a Simulated Sinusoid.  LabVIEW 2017 and 2018, however, generate lovely documents with Sinusoids on a graph.  The AE is going to check to see if (a) this has been reported already, (b) will see if an Update Patch exists, and (c) if None of the Above, will enter it as a new bug.  However, as LabVIEW 2016 is more than three Releases (counting Service Packs) old, the chance of having a Patch if this is truly a new bug is remote.

I should know more tomorrow, and will post a followup here.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,284 Views)

Thank you very much, glad to know that this sounds like an issue with this express VI and LabVIEW 2016 and not something specific with my machine.  I appreciate your input and look forward to your response tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,282 Views)

It's the Day After Tomorrow, and All Through the House, Not an AE was Stirring, Not Even from NI Support.  Why don't we give them through the weekend ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,242 Views)

Sounds good, thank you for the update.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,239 Views)

Any word yet from the NI Application Engineers?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,217 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ryancam

Oops, I also fell asleep!  The AE responded to my Support Ticket this week:

The Express VI is definitely broken, but if we dive deeper there's an issue with an invoke node within one of the Excel classes (for me, this was the 'NI_Excel.lvclass:Save Report to File.vi') used at the lower level.

This can be resolved by jumping into the Express VI, following where the broken run arrows lead and performing these steps: "LabVIEW Report Generation Toolkit VIs Broken": https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019N7CSAU

While this issue only happened in the Excel class, our LabVIEW R&D Engineer thinks that for dynamic dispatch VIs, if any instance of the VI is broken, anywhere you use it will show up as broken. We do have other CARs for the Excel specific issues, but I've updated the above KB to be a little more general at certain parts.

So, bottom line, NI knows it is broken, CARs have been filed, and (I hope) there is some hope for a fix/resolution.

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 10
(4,210 Views)

The link you provided gave a good and thorough step by step on how to fix this issue, thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,181 Views)

I didreport.JPG it ,looks good. see the picture.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,459 Views)