From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost task bar control

Since upgrading LV from 7.1.1 to 8.0.1, I no longer have control of the Windows task bar while the vi is running.  For example, I need to use Windows Explorer or the Start button.  Is there a setting for this?   The OS is Win XP-Pro.

Dave J.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,961 Views)
Hello,

There have been problems with the "Allow user to resize window" property when a front panel is maximized, but it sounds like you simply lose UI control to click in the taskbar.  That behavior I haven't seen, unless you have a VI which is consuming a lot of processing time (such as a demanding while loop without a wait statement).  If you can be a bit more specific, and perhaps attach a screenshot with comments indicating what can and cannot be done with what's seen in the screenshot, it may clarify the problem.  Also, if you could try this with a simple, hardware-independent piece of code then I would like to try it here - if I can reproduce it this can be escalated and explored in R&D.

Thank you,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,946 Views)
To confirm, I have the same program running on another machine that has LV v.7.1.1 and I have access to the task bar.  I just noticed however, that  v.8.0.1 will allow access to the task bar if I only run a subvi. 

For example, I stripped out most of the programming from the main vi and attached it.  There are two subvi's attached that are needed to run the main vi.  Run 3PS AMS1 v60_BU1.vi  On my system I do not have access to the task bar while it's running, including the use of the Start button.  Click Event Details to open the subvi.  On my system, the computer beeps when the task bar is clicked and it still does not work.  Click the Abort Execution on the Data Acquisition Details subvi (Test Information v60_BU1.vi) to shut it all down.  Now click the Run button of the subvi to run it only.  The task bar is available on my system with only the subvi running,   In short, the task bar is not available while running the main vi.  (Close the subvi before restarting the main vi.)

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,927 Views)
Hello,

I don't think your code was attached here, can you try attaching it again?

Thank you,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,919 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,903 Views)
I have seen this in my applications as well (7.0, XP) - what happens is the area dedicated to the task bar is "dedicated" to LV, but it does not update properly - as long as nothing changes the taskbar is displayed exactly as it was when the VI started running (without changing), but when something else is displayed in that area, the image stays frozen on the new display.

The source of the problem is hiding the title bar and running the VI maximized or not maximized.

Message Edited by tst on 05-31-2006 02:21 PM

(2,899 Views)

I'm having trouble with this and find it baffling. 

Why am I having this problem now that I've upgraded to version 8.0.1?

If I set FP.State to Minimized or Maximized when the main vi is started, I still do not have access to the task bar.

If I set FP.State to Standard when the main vi is started, the task bar is covered by the main vi front panel.  However, this happens only the first time when running the program.  Subsequent startings will gain me access to the task bar.  So this means that I'm going to have to start the program twice.  Also, when set to Standard, the vi toolbar is no longer available after the vi is stopped.  Why?

I tried changing the Window Behavior in vi properties (Default, Floating, Modal) to various settings.  I normally set it to Default in the main vi and Modal in the subvi's.  I also tried to various settings to allow the user to close, resize and minimize the window.  Changing these settings does not help.

In short, I need the end user to have access to the task bar while the program is running.  This is important because I don't want to shut down the program to gain access to generated reports.  (We use Microsoft Report Generation Toolkit).  I would also like to not run the program twice to get it working.  Is this doable in version 8?

Please advise...

Thanks,

Dave J.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,891 Views)
Hello,

I think tst has found the root of the problem - when the "Window has title bar" property is set, then the problem occurs, otherwise it does not.  I think you implicitly defined that in your VI by setting your VI to Run mode (as opposed to edit mode).  I have filed a corrective action request on the matter to R&D with CAR number: 3Y0AIOSQ.

I apologize for the inconvenience this behavior causes you.

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,869 Views)