From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging of boolean shared variable data using DSC module

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I am working on a project that involves a decent number of double and boolean shared variables. The alarms and data need to be logged. By setting the resolution of double SVs, I have manged to control the amount of data logged. However, I am not yet able to handle the issue of boolean data types. (These indicate ON/OFF state of various components). I just want to log data points on value change. As I am new to DSC 2017 any suggestion would be helpful 

Another small question the scf file format used in earlier DSC versions. Is it also available with DSC 2017?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,564 Views)

Any suggestion??

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,534 Views)

Scf files are not supported any more but there is a migration tool (under Tools->DSC), although I never used it.

The documentation I read says nothing about how logging is optimized (if ever) for a boolean value.

My guess is that logging occurs only when values change. A small test project may give you an answer quickly.

If there is no optimization, you may consider using numeric variables instead of booleans.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,507 Views)

Thanks for the reply

I converted boolean SVs to Integer but no improvement. The library has 2600 SVs, I even disabled logging of Alarms but still the problem persists. As the application runs for an hour then database size is around 1.5GB..really stuck at the moment 🤔

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,464 Views)

By disabling the generate event on value change property on the ALARMING page I have managed to address the database size problem, the alarms are logged and retrieved fairly efficiently; so a big step forward. However, despite logging being enabled I am unable to see any data in Citadel.

Are there any special setting for logging data for boolean shared variables.   

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,410 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nustian

SOLVED: the logging option was unchecked for most SVs. 

By disabling the generate event on value change property on the ALARMING page  the database size remains manageable.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,382 Views)