LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Localization in LV8.20?

Hi to you, LV8.20 users

Is it possible in LV8.20 to easily localize a LV app by using methods like VI String.export and VI String.import respectively?

I'm still using LV8.0 and this may be a little motivation for upgrading my system.

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,154 Views)

Hi Thomas,

I am not really sure, why you are unhappy with the import/export methods in LV 8.0. If you have upgraded such an application from 7.1 or older, then you may get some issue, like described in the LV Release Notes (page 25). But LV 8.20 has no enhancements here.

Regarding localizing your application you will not get that much motivation to upgrade, but there are a lot of other nice feature available.

Best Regards,

Evrem

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,124 Views)
The point is that I have not yet found a dynamic way which is available at runtime in a built application (for that reason I developed a simple library) to change the language of a LV user interface.
Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,118 Views)

Hello!

The functions you mentioned are not settable when the VIs are running so you would still need to have a top layer performing these actions through VI server and the start the execution of the VIs in question. Export function loads the frontpanel whiles the import function loads both the frontpanel and the blockdiagram.

Regards,
Jimmie Adolph
Systems Engineering Manager, National Instruments Northern European Region

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,113 Views)
Do you know of some mechanism that will be available in a future version of LV?
Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,101 Views)
Hi Thomas,

I have nver been happy with the export import strings functionality myself.

For multilingual applications I have used the technique of only showing the captions of controls and hiding all of the labels.

At start up time I check the langauge and write all of the captions with the proper text. I admit that this can be complicated after the fact (ie application already developed).

But if you find the crazy thread where JLV was trying to dynamically find all of the controls in a global VI, you will get some hints how to get all of the control references. From there you JUST have to feed the proper set of strings to the captions.

Trying to help,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,083 Views)
Thanks, Ben,

I have just been working on my first bilingual program and am using much the same approach you described. Nice to have confirmation that I am on the right track.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,077 Views)

@Ben: Hi

The way you described, is similar to what I currently do. I made a library, with all this functionality inside. If I place these vis in a vi of a program, they first check if a translation file for the current vi exists. If not, I create one. For each control in the vi I dynamically generate a file entry (also recursively - clusters of clusters of clusters...). Finally it works, but I'd prefer some built in support.

I don't know where these export/import functions originate from, but I don't think they are very useful. Ok - those who do not build applications but only run the vi in the IDE would be able to use it.

Anyway - I'll have to wait for the next release of LV.

Thomas

Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,053 Views)
besides the language, you also have localization errors, decimal sign, date formatting, these are harder to track down.

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,049 Views)
But I can (or at least I hope I can) rely on LV to handle date and decimal sign and other things correctly.
Using LV8.0
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,044 Views)