cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading STL file into 3D Picture control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm trying to load a .STL file onto the 3D picture control. The entire model is not getting displayed. It is like there is a screen inside the 3D Picture control and everything behind that screen seems to be hidden. I have attached a screen recording so that you can understand better.

I have tried the camera position, target position and up direction properties, nothing seems to be helping. I have attached a vi that simply loads the model and also the STL file that I was trying load. Please help me understand the working.

Thanks in advance,

Dhinesh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,251 Views)

Hi, @A_Dhinesh,

I don't see any attached screen recording or attached vi, so I'm not sure what you mean.

But you might compare what you're trying with the links in this post.

(Since you're already using .STL files, you've probably seen some or all of those links, whether from the post I linked or not. But hopefully in reviewing the links, you can see what changes may need to happen to make it work.)

Good luck!

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,191 Views)

I'm trying to attach the files again here.

Thanks,

Dhinesh

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,179 Views)

@A_Dhinesh wrote:

I'm trying to attach the files again here.

Thanks,

Dhinesh

So, I have not yet looked at your video or tried with your particular model (I tend to be cautious about downloading files), but I opened your VI and tried loading an example .STL file in. Everything seems to work just fine.

(I did add a while loop to make it more like the snippets in this Knowledge article, and once I did, I was able to manipulate the 3D picture just fine.)

So (except for maybe adding a while loop), your VI seems OK.

Can you verify that the .STL file is good/valid?

-joeorbob

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,147 Views)

The STL that I have attached inside a zip file is valid. I'm able to open it properly in windows 3D Viewer or Print 3D applications that is available by default in windows.

Thanks,

Dhinesh.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,130 Views)

There are numerical limits to the maximum dimensions of objects the 3D picture can display - you might need to scale down the dimensions?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,117 Views)

Is there any way to change those numeric limits for maximum dimensions? 

I have to do some interpolation operations to add few more objects and overlays.

For Example,

I have an airplane model of wing span 30m and sensor cable of 1mm diameter and 13m length.

So, I will not be able to scale down the object.

image.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,113 Views)

I think you should try just dividing everything by 10, and see if that works.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,103 Views)

Loading the STL file after scaling down is working fine. But I need the models to be in actual scale for my interpolation algorithm to work. So, I'm looking for a solution to load the models in actual scale.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,092 Views)

If you don't want to scale the STL file and only want to display it in LabVIEW you could scale it there.

I can't open your vi now but this works.

snip.png  Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,081 Views)