From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load and align multiple STL files/models

I am working on importing robot CAD models into LabVIEW.

For this I import STL files using the 3D picture control.

- My question is, how do I import multiple STL files and align (rotate and position) the models according to each other?

I have made a simple VI (Load_Robot_STL.VI), where I load a STL file (Base.STL), and I would like to load more models e.g. Joint_01.STL and align it to the base.

LabVIEW 8.6 / 2009 / 2010
Vision Development Module 8.6 / 2009 / 2010
VBAI 3.6 / 2010
Message 1 of 3
(4,701 Views)

Hi,

I realize it might not be of much use to you anymore, but this link might help others. The VI shows how to load multiple objects in a single scene. 

http://lavag.org/topic/7173-3d-picture-how-to-set-triangle-mesh-transparency/

Regards

Biswarup 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,252 Views)

Hi Little Helper

Have you looked at the example "solarsystem.vi" in the LabVIEW Example Finder? This shows how to place a sun, earth and moon in relation to each other and move them around. 

I believe it should be in LV 8.6 as well, if not let me know and I will try to downconvert it to you. Basically what you want to do is to use the 3D transformation VI's under "Grahics and sound" -> "3D picture control" -> "Transformations". It allows you to move (translate), change size (scale), and change rotation (rotate) your 3D objects.

Best Regard

Anders Rohde

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,213 Views)