cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load and Save Warning List - Dependency loaded from new path issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

So i downloaded the drivers for a motion controller (newport esp301) from NI. I saved the driver files in C:/Program Files/National Instruments/LabVIEW2015/intr.lib/Newport ESP301. When using the block diagram I am able to see the driver & vi's under intrument I/O -> instr drivers -> newport esp. I wanted to look at the Tree VI to get an idea of how to program with it. When I place the VI on the block diagram a "Load Warning Summary" Comes up with 217 warnings saying that Dependency is loaded from new path. When looking at the details i see that the expected dependency path is for a vi is "<userlib>:\NewportESP301\ Close.vi" and the new dependency path is "C:\Program Files\ National Instruments\LabVIEW2015\instr.lib\NewportESP301/Close.vi. I have the option to save to file. Could i please get some help with how to proceed, I am somewhat new to labview and I am not sure where the file should be saved or what action to take. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
(11,177 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ngorg23

If you look at Page 1 of the ESP301 LabVIEW Manual, it says "Copy the directory Newport ESP301 under the directory user.lib.  Instead, you chose to copy it under the directory instr.lib.  When LabVIEW tried to find the files that it needed, it looked in user.lib, didn't find them, but did find them where you (mis-)placed them.

My advice would be to close LabVIEW, move the Newport ESP301 folder from instr.lib to user.lib, thus following the directions from the company, and try again.  If you haven't said "OK" to the previous attempt (and saved your VIs), it should "forgive you" and load properly.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 4
(11,160 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

If you look at Page 1 of the ESP301 LabVIEW Manual, it says "Copy the directory Newport ESP301 under the directory user.lib.  Instead, you chose to copy it under the directory instr.lib.  When LabVIEW tried to find the files that it needed, it looked in user.lib, didn't find them, but did find them where you (mis-)placed them.

My advice would be to close LabVIEW, move the Newport ESP301 folder from instr.lib to user.lib, thus following the directions from the company, and try again.  If you haven't said "OK" to the previous attempt (and saved your VIs), it should "forgive you" and load properly.

Bob Schor

Bob, thanks for the repsonse.

I did as you said and moved the directory Newport ESP301 under the directory user.lib.  I accessed the drivers from the user libraries. However, when i place the Tree VI on the block diagram I still receive the dependency loaded from new path error, but for only 22 warnings this time.

Your further advising would be appreciated. Also, I was previously unaware of the ESP301 LabVIEW Manual, and have now found that, thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(11,148 Views)

@ngorg23 wrote:
Bob, thanks for the repsonse.

I did as you said and moved the directory Newport ESP301 under the directory user.lib. However, after reopening LabVIEW, the Newport ESP 301 icon no longer appaeared under intrument I/O -> Intstrument Drivers.

Your further advising would be appreciated. Also, I was previously unaware of the ESP301 LabVIEW Manual, and have now found that, thanks. 

OK.  Now read Page 2 of the manual, which says that the Newport ESP 301 icon appears, not under Instrument I/O, but (hold your breath ...) under User Libraries!

You do not want two copies of the drivers available to LabVIEW.  You do not have to follow Newport's recommendation, but (as you've already seen) if you use their Drivers according to their directions, you might have fewer errors and less confusion.

As a Software Developer, a Good Principle is "Write the Documentation First".  As a Hardware User (particularly as a New User), another excellent Principle is "Read the Documentation First".

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 4
(11,139 Views)