cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Image Data Directly Into a PictureBox

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm working on a help window, and I want to be able to store the help contents as image data (flattened to string) in a database. I want to then unflatten and convert it back to image data and load it into a PictureBox. Is there a way I can do that without saving the image to file? Currently, the only way I see to load an image to a PictureBox is by loading a saved image.

Redhawk
Test Engineer at Moog Inc.

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,405 Views)

It's not clear exactly what you want.  Maybe this will work for you:

Run this code:

pb1.png   Then right-click on the "image data" terminal and select: Create -> Constant.

Use that constant in this code:

pb2.png

And to retrieve the image from the DB

pb3.png

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,367 Views)

Thought I explained it pretty well but I'll try again. What I want is for 'image data' to be loaded into a .NET PictureBox control directly instead of needing a saved image file. See the attached screenshot. Ignore all the math, it's to make the window look nice no matter what size the image is.

Spoiler
FireFist-Redhawk_0-1624016749707.png
Redhawk

Saying "Thanks that fixed it" or "Thanks that answers my question" and not giving a Kudo or Marked Solution, is like telling your waiter they did a great job and not leaving a tip. Please, tip your waiters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,342 Views)

Why not just use a LabVIEW picture indicator?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,327 Views)

I guess it's mostly that gray bevel on the outside of it that I don't like, but I might end up doing that.

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,322 Views)

If you use the classic version of the Picture control, you can color the border transparent.

Message 6 of 11
(3,317 Views)

To me the classic and regular version are both basically the same thing. Do you color it with property nodes or?

EDIT: figured out it's colored by using the paint tool in edit mode, just gotta get the cursor right on the 3 pixels of the border. Thanks!

Redhawk

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,311 Views)

@FireFist-Redhawk wrote:

To me the classic and regular version are both basically the same thing. Do you color it with property nodes or?

EDIT: figured out it's colored by using the paint tool in edit mode, just gotta get the cursor right on the 3 pixels of the border. Thanks!

Note: Those bezels on the classic controls can only be colored with the coloring tool.  There is no property available to access the color of a bezel.

Message 8 of 11
(3,304 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author FireFist-Redhawk

I posted some code here that demonstrates a few things with the picture box.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Read-multi-image-tiff/m-p/3580103#M1002365

Here it loads an image, preserving the alpha layer information if there is any, it can select an image to display if a file contains multiple images, and does automatic scaling to the pane without additional code.  I used a similar set of code to allow for rotating of an image using .Net.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-rotate-objects-or-pictures-on-my-FP/m-p/3200578#M927937

Message 9 of 11
(3,224 Views)

The attached may be of use with some modifications for PNG instead of JPEG. It uses .Net.

Using LV2018 32 bit

Highly recommended open source screen capture software (useful for bug reports).

https://getsharex.com/
Message 10 of 11
(3,105 Views)