From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear algebra matrix-vector dimensions

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using LabVIEW 2012 to do some linear algebra. In linear algebra language, I need to take one 3x3 matrix (call it A), dot-multiply it with a 3x1 vector (call it B) and obtain a 3x1 vector (call it C). In LabVIEW, the dot product cannot operate between matrices and vectors. Therefore I use the AXB function, which works. However, the output of AXB is always seen as a matrix and not a vector. So when I try to convert C back to an array, it is recognized as a 2D array instead of 1D array as it should. How can I do the conversion properly?

Even worse, if I take C, transpose it (so it's 1x3), and try to dot-multiply it by anoother 3x1 vector (to obtain a scalar), the dot-product does not accept the input: C is not actually considered a vector but a matrix, and in labview dot-product does not operate with matrices. So how can I do that multiplication to obtain a scalar?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,748 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vpicco

I figured it out. The liinear algebra functions also accept 1D arrays as input. That way one can use for example the AXB function, set its type to A X Vector, and obtain a 1D array as output.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,736 Views)