LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License folder created by application builder

A "license" folder is automatically created and populated when I use application builder to create an installer. It sits alongside the "bin" and "supportfiles" folders. This license folder contains dozens of 3rd party licenses and I can't find any discussion as to why those licenses are there and whether they need to be included/amended/adhered to when distributing software. Anyone know what to do with these?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,786 Views)

So looking at an installer I have it looks like these are licenses for technoligies that NI uses, which are passed down to those that use the NI technoligies in making applications.  They are various technoligies that have license agreements that attributed works will retain the license agreement put out by NI or a 3rd party, which is something you likely agreed to when you installed LabVIEW or any NI technology.  They are made automatically by the application builder, and should probably remain there if you want to abide by the EULA you agreed to.  What is your consern with them?

Message 2 of 5
(3,754 Views)

>What is your consern with them?

Our legal team is asking me to "confirm that we are allowed to distribute / sublicense 3rd party software". I could read through each of the 52 license files in the folder to look for language that pertains to distributing / sublicensing. But I'd rather not! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,750 Views)

@curt.dvonch wrote:

Our legal team is asking me to "confirm that we are allowed to distribute / sublicense 3rd party software". I could read through each of the 52 license files in the folder to look for language that pertains to distributing / sublicensing. But I'd rather not! 

Thats a question for the legal team!  Send them contact info for your NI Rep and your license key.  they hired you to write the code they hired the legal team to answer questions of a legal nature.

If your app builder key is legal the licenses encluded in a installer should be fine!  (Do not quote me in court on that though. I'm not a lawyer!) 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 5
(3,740 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@curt.dvonch wrote:

Thats a question for the legal team!  Send them contact info for your NI Rep and your license key.  they hired you to write the code they hired the legal team to answer questions of a legal nature.

If your app builder key is legal the licenses encluded in a installer should be fine!  (Do not quote me in court on that though. I'm not a lawyer!) 

I don't even think you are qualified to give an answer and can get into serious trouble for acting as legal counsel.  (Practicing without a license, I would guess.)  As Jeff mentioned, that is their job.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 5
(3,691 Views)